Opened Darth's V3 vs 770 pro 80ohm!
Jul 12, 2007 at 2:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Grey Massacre

500+ Head-Fier
Hello there!

Background
I finally received my Darth's after a good 10 weeks of waiting. I must say when you wait that long the product has to meet the expectations you made to yourself! It did surpass my expectations!!!

My Darth's finished their 100+ hours burn in time and it is the time to make comparison with the non modified version! I would like to point out the burn-in period with those cans are crucial they change a LOT! From really muddy to very clear and enjoyable, more on that later in this post.

I do not consider myself an audiophile and I love what sounds good. Before owning these 2 pairs I had Grado-SR80 which served me well for a long time! I have listened various Sennheiser headphones since my friend prefer the Senn sound signature. So know you know a bit of my background, what I listen mostly is brutal metal and EBM/dark electro. I really enjoy every other type of music but those are my preferred styles.

Setup
My test setup is listed in my signature, Cowon F2 -> silver+copper I/C -> LD2++ . I am using upgraded tubes and I find that my amp is sounding more solid state than tubey. Following bands have been listened: Decapitated, Kataklysm, Krisiun, Virgin Black, Mourning Beloveth, Suicide Commando, Grendel, Wumpscut, Dyoxide.

770 vs Darth's
I really liked my stock 770 but after listening the fully burned in Darth's they fade away. As Skylab said in one of his post: "They are light years better!". When switching from one to the other I feel the 770 sounds much more laid back, thin/flat. The bass is much more impactful and defined. I also feel the mids are more present, way more forward on the Darth's, they are on the warm side I would say. The treble are a bit tamed, not as bright as the stock but still sparkling and not fatiguing, the vocals and guitars are much better! Those factors are really important since I listen to crazy death metal with tons of drums! I also noticed the Darth's are louder somehow, I have to play them at lower volume. I have noticed that the openness of the cans gives it more air somehow, I feel the sound is more live/better suited? When listening to live albums I can certainly say I get a much better soundstage and the 3D position of the elements is better.

Other information
It has been said many times but Larry work is really incredible, it seems that the people around me want to steal my headphones just because of the sexy zebra wood. I am using leather pads on the Darth's they seem to keep my ears farther from the drivers and they are really comfy. They seem to make a better seal also. The Darth's are heavier and they don't seem that way on your head. The cotton mesh over the cable has to be used with care I see it is easy to pull small hair out of it.

Final thoughts
Basically it made my 770 better in every aspect, I wasn't expecting this kind of upgrade. I hate to say this but for this kind of money you get what you pay for and this upgrade was totally worth it. It took my favorite can to another level, I feel they are twice as good if not more. Now I need some Darthed Grado's to compliment those. :p

Pictures
DarthsvsDT770.jpg

grain.jpg

Thanks for reading!

Charles

Jul 12, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #3 of 21
hmmm, could the differences you experienced also be because of the leather pads? sorry to be cynical, but a comparison would be truer if they both had velour or leather.

nice photos btw!

edit, love the little dot cooling!!

Jul 12, 2007 at 2:44 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnywolfet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmmm, could the differences you experienced also be because of the leather pads? sorry to be cynical, but a comparison would be truer if they both had velour or leather.

nice photos btw!

edit, love the little dot cooling!!

Hello jonnywolfet,

I noticed no sound quality differences in between velour and leather (as I swapped them a few times). But for sure I was getting more comfort and isolation, I also feel the headphones stay better in place. My listening environment is quiet.

Charles

Jul 12, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #5 of 21
Another satisfied Darth-master
biggrin.gif

Jul 13, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by driftingbunnies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how long did you have the DT770's before you made the jump to Darth's? and where did you get the materials for your headphone stand?

Hello driftingbunnies,

My upgrade path was pretty quick. About 7-8 months ago I have gotten DT770 pro 80ohm and about 2 months ago I ordered the Darth's. My stand is made of pipes which you can find in any hardware store. The trick is they are sanded with fine metal wool so they become really shiny and chromed. The picture doesn't really capture the shininess.
smily_headphones1.gif

Charles

Jul 13, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by cutthroat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just put in my order to Larry today for some Darths. Threads like this make me feel better about forking over the $$$. Now for the long wait.......

Hello cutthroat,

Actually I think about it this way, you buy custom work from one specialized artist dedicated to quality. Larry is not only an artist, he is one of us! He is a very knowledgeable person and his work is totally worth it. There are other headphones even more expensive and they don't even approach the level of Larry's work. That money you fork is for a long run and you won't be disappointed! The wait is a real pain but you get what you pay for.

Charles

Jul 13, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #11 of 21
Nice to see you are enjoying your new headphones. I have never listened to his open darths, though I will have to someday.

Just out of curiosity, how much did those little beauts cost you?

Hope they bring you years of enjoyment!

Jul 13, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice to see you are enjoying your new headphones. I have never listened to his open darths, though I will have to someday.

Just out of curiosity, how much did those little beauts cost you?

Hope they bring you years of enjoyment!

Hi Towert7,

505$ That's including the new 770 pro and black velour. The leather pads have been bought separately. Oh yes they will serve me for a long time since I always take really good care of my stuff.
smily_headphones1.gif

Charles

Jul 13, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

I just put in my order to Larry today for some Darths. Threads like this make me feel better about forking over the $$$. Now for the long wait.......

Yeah -- I just ordered (another) Darth, too....
blink.gif
cool.gif
basshead.gif

Jul 13, 2007 at 4:04 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah -- I just ordered (another) Darth, too....
blink.gif
cool.gif
basshead.gif

Quote:

I just put in my order to Larry today for some Darths.

Hi silverrain and cutthroat,

I feel a bit responsible about this! :p

We want DETAILS about those upcoming cans!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Charles

Jul 13, 2007 at 8:06 AM Post #15 of 21
Nice.

I'd really like to see a Darth with a totally new, frankensteined headband. Perhaps the headband from the AudioTechnica W5000. That would look pretty beastly, imho.

We've seen all the wood varieties, now someone needs to take the next step!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back