Open vs Closed???
Feb 1, 2007 at 7:22 AM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by SHVentus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks to all for your kind responses - I do greatly appreciate them!

New Q:

If the consensus is that open cans generally sound better & have a wider SS, then why do people rave about the Darth Beyers & the woody enclosed upgrades for the Senn 650's? Thank you.

Personal Preference.

Quote from Wmcmanus: "If it sounds good to you - then it's good."

Feb 1, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Thanks to all for your kind responses - I do greatly appreciate them!

New Q:

If the consensus is that open cans generally sound better & have a wider SS, then why do people rave about the Darth Beyers & the woody enclosed upgrades for the Senn 650's? Thank you.

i dont know from experience but from what others say....the bass in DT770s is pretty BIG...I like a lot of bass and my 770/80s are on the way!
smily_headphones1.gif
! After I burn them in i am prolly goin gto get them darthafied!!!

Feb 1, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

I haven't heard a Darth Beyer, but I've heard a stock DT770/80....and that was a bass heavy.
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
All closed cans seem to have an issue with too much weight for me. I like the HD650s open. In fact it seems that most headphile Beyers way more then Senns. I wouldn't dream of putting woodies on mine. Would totally kill the airy and lively, yet plenty of body sort of presentation that I like with Senns.

Feb 2, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #20 of 21
It also depends on what you plan to use them for. To me, closed cans sound better with movies or pop music than open cans.

Feb 2, 2007 at 11:49 PM Post #21 of 21
I think closed cans get a bad rap. 8 times out of 10 you need closed phones or else you just might as well be listening to speakers. I also like the intimacy you get with good closed cans. I could be wrong but I think hearing damage is a bigger issue with open than closed designs. Has anyone taken a dB reading at the preferred listening volume open vs closed ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back