Open vs. Closed Headphones
Feb 18, 2012 at 2:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

ThomasH

New Head-Fier
I don't want a long debate on which one is better. I simply would like to know how bad the bleed problem on open-air phones are. I know they sound better, provide better comfort (in most cases), and usually cost a lot more cash. I want an open-air pair of phones, HD-600 or HD-650s, but can't quite tell if the bleed factor is going to be a deal breaker. Can you listen at comfortable volumes below mid-way up without any bleeding 10 feet away? I want to work in studio in architecture school without disturbing neighboring students. 

Feb 18, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #2 of 17

Quote:
I don't want a long debate on which one is better. I simply would like to know how bad the bleed problem on open-air phones are. I know they sound better, provide better comfort (in most cases), and usually cost a lot more cash. I want an open-air pair of phones, HD-600 or HD-650s, but can't quite tell if the bleed factor is going to be a deal breaker. Can you listen at comfortable volumes below mid-way up without any bleeding 10 feet away? I want to work in studio in architecture school without disturbing neighboring students. 

This should be more appropiately titled "How badly do opens bleed" instead of Open vs Closed.

Well with my friends Grado SR60s he could hear my music clearly and easily and a 20 foot distance across the basement. I could almost hear the music just as loud from outside the cup than inside the cup. It depends on which headphone as they all bleed differently, but opens bleed .A lot.

Feb 18, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #4 of 17
Not all open phones bleed equally. The Beyer DT880s are about the least leaky full-sized 'open' phones (probably better classified semi-open) that I've used. Grados leak a lot, the Audeze phones leak a lot, so do the Sennheiser HD800s. The 600/650 are in between. At 10 feet away, I'd say you wouldn't be bothered by someone listening at 'moderate' levels on HD600s. The problem is when the environment is noisy, you can hear outside sounds, so you raise the volume, and they leak more.

Feb 18, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #5 of 17
I'm sorry about the thread title. If I could change it I would. 

I really an interested in working in a college atmosphere. I'll have my own place next year, but still have roommates. I just want to be able to get a great pair of cans that I don't annoy everyone, especially in my studio atmosphere (as referenced in OP). How do people get away with using the open-air cans normally? Don't normal people that have open-air have to function around others? If I could only use open-air phones at home, I would just get a great speaker setup. I don't get the point of open-air if you can only listen to them when no one is around. 

Feb 18, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #6 of 17

Quote:

I really an interested in working in a college atmosphere. I'll have my own place next year, but still have roommates. I just want to be able to get a great pair of cans that I don't annoy everyone, especially in my studio atmosphere (as referenced in OP). How do people get away with using the open-air cans normally? Don't normal people that have open-air have to function around others? If I could only use open-air phones at home, I would just get a great speaker setup. I don't get the point of open-air if you can only listen to them when no one is around. 

That's exactly the point. The only time you really use them is at home. The sound leaks too much and isn't isolated enough for public use. Most open headphones are practically mini speakers when it comes to sound leak.

Feb 18, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #7 of 17
Ok, I'm confused. Are Sennheiser 700 and 800's open or closed?

How about LCD-2's?

Feb 18, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #8 of 17
All open. Most of the better/more expensive ones are open, but not all. 

Quote:

How about LCD-2's?

Feb 18, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #9 of 17

Quote:

How about LCD-2's?

One look at a set of headphones like this should be able to tell you if they're open or closed. I mean you can see the driver for goodness sake. the LCD's have huge vents.

Do you understand what open and closed actually mean?

Feb 18, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #10 of 17

Quote:

Because the better ones sound freakin' amazing, with an airiness and large soundstage
that closed phones physically can't match  i.e. laws of physics

But here are some closed phone suggestions:

Denon AH-D2000
great sounding phones, fit loosely and therefore not as isolating as other closed phones,
where the earpads essentially create a "sealing" effect
Sony MDR-Z1000 
currently my top "sealing" closed headphones - very smooth, very dynamic,
very detailed, good soundstage - really a pleasure listening to these - list is
$499 but you can find them for about 300 from time to time
Ultrasone HFI 780
tremendous bass, plenty of zip on the top, overall very solid performer for
the money - about 150
Audio Technica ATH A900 
nice sounding closed phones, very comfortable
Sennheiser HD25 1 II
dynamic little devils with plenty of punch, sound much bigger than they
are, terrific for portable use - about 180
Beyerdynamic DT770 
basshead phones, very well made - velour earpads allow some sound leakage
Shure SRH 840
good sounding phones; big and bulky 
Audio Technica ATH-M50
immensely popular though less so very recently
comfortable, good sounding, well made phones

Feb 18, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #11 of 17
You'll disturb them.  Sennheisers leak like the Titantic after hitting an iceberg.  Not sure what to recommend in terms of closed, but I can vouch for the Ultrasone HFI-580s for electronica.  Or follow the nifty list above this post. 

Feb 18, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #12 of 17
What are the best "closed" headphones in peeps' opinion?

MONEY NO OBJECT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back