Open vs. Closed Headphones (Looking for Headphones around $100!)
Jun 12, 2010 at 6:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

seojuhwan

New Head-Fier
I am looking for some good new headphones that are around $100.

I am just starting out my headphone journey and trying to get the right ones for my taste.
I have owned my Cowon S9 for music listening for over a year and I currently use the cheap Sennheiser CX 300.

Now I want some over-ear cans, but I have absolutely no experience with cans.

I listen to classical music most of the time.
However, I have special taste imo.

First of all, clarity is very important. The orchestral, piano, and string music has to be clean.
Also, I need and want good mid and treble. Bass is not the most important thing, although it would be good to have good bass.

I have read many reviews and I found it very challenging to find headphones by doing that.

I am more than happy to buy them online.

I know 100 USD is not that much, but I cannot afford to spend too much money on headphones, although I would love to. :p

Thanks in advance,

Jun 12, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #2 of 23
You will get many different preferences from the different members around here, but I'll go ahead and throw out the Grado SR80i's. They are definitely among the top contenders in the ~$100 price category. There are threads dedicated specifically for these headphones, so check them out and see if they float your boat.

Jun 12, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #4 of 23
Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes get the AD700s :)

Jun 12, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #5 of 23
If you want soundstage, the AD700s are in your price range, and can't be matched until you get to the AKG 701/702s...

Jun 12, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #8 of 23
If I were to get the A700s, should I get the open air or closed back?

It seems like everybody wrote AD700s, but I see that there are two versions.

I really don't know what is the difference and which is better for my purpose.

I don't think I will be using these outdoors too much because I am afraid of hurting them and damaging them... so most likely inside my house, but occasional outdoors use.

As I stated above, I like big sound stage I think and CLARITY!!!
Classical music with these also! :p

Jun 12, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #9 of 23
Go with the AD700s, they have the huge soundstage.

Jun 13, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #12 of 23
You'll get much better performance out of the open model, and if you want a closed can I wouldn't recommend the A700.

Jun 13, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #13 of 23
Why not a700? I think it is a nice starter. One might not like open sound at first. I hated the ad700 initially because the sound seemed so faded compared to the es7 when I first started head fi.

Jun 13, 2010 at 8:03 AM Post #14 of 23
He said he wanted the soundstage and clarity.

Jun 13, 2010 at 11:16 AM Post #15 of 23
even if thats what he wanted i wouldnt recommend the a700, i would recommend the ES7 however.

but my recommendation still stands, for what he wants i'd go with the AD700

Quote:
Why not a700? I think it is a nice starter. One might not like open sound at first. I hated the ad700 initially because the sound seemed so faded compared to the es7 when I first started head fi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back