Open vs Closed for gaming
Oct 24, 2007 at 3:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

kaywalker

New Head-Fier
After doing a ton of research, starting with looking at the ax360, and now here I am on these boards asking about the ATH-AD700. I read a lot of good things about these headphones. Unfortunately I can't afford the a900's but I heard the 700 is a noticable improvement over the a500's.
I'm going to be using the cans 85% for gaming and 15% for movies. So I'll never be listening music on them. Also, 95% of the time i'll be playing in a quiet room so leakage is not a problem.
Accurate soundstage is a big factor for me, since I need to be able to spot where the sound is coming from.
So what do you guys say?
ATH-A700 or ATH-AD700?
Also would you say it's better to get the 700's rather than 500's if money is not a problem?

Oct 24, 2007 at 3:56 AM Post #2 of 20
Open will give you better soundstage, closed has more sibilance due to the fact that they are closed. This might be confusing for games with footsteps and lots o bass. Also, if you compete at live events, it is easier to hear teammates with open headphones.

Oct 24, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rise To The Top /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Open will give you better soundstage, closed has more sibilance due to the fact that they are closed. This might be confusing for games with footsteps and lots o bass. Also, if you compete at live events, it is easier to hear teammates with open headphones.

thanks for the response. I heard one person mention once that even though open headphones have a bigger soundstage, it's sort of a weird one which doesn't make it easy to spot the location of the sound. Do you have any personal experience with that?

Oct 24, 2007 at 5:56 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by kaywalker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for the response. I heard one person mention once that even though open headphones have a bigger soundstage, it's sort of a weird one which doesn't make it easy to spot the location of the sound. Do you have any personal experience with that?

The wide soundstage is exactly why I like using my 580's when playing Halo. They let me locate the direction of sounds instantly which is truly helpful when you get ambushed or flanked by multiple targets.

Oct 24, 2007 at 6:02 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by kaywalker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I got into headphone because of halo (former pro, top 8 4v4 Orlando last year). Open vs Closed, open sounds alot clearer than closed, and like I said, easier to talk to teammates if you ever compete. Bigger soundstage = better placement of objects, ie drums, guitar, etc.

Oct 24, 2007 at 8:01 PM Post #7 of 20
I'm by no means a pro gamer but I use my AD700s with my Xbox 360 all the time and think they sound great. As some mentioned, the soundstage is great. For example, in Bioshock I noticed there was an excellent sense of depth in regards to all the sounds going on around you.

I love my AD700s so I would certainly recommend them.

Oct 24, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #9 of 20
I like using closed cause it helps me concentrate, specifically picking out the direction of sounds. I communicate w/ team mates just using a microphone.

Oct 25, 2007 at 12:47 AM Post #12 of 20
The AD's are much better for games IMO. The sweet midrange gives a much more realistic imitation of gunshots, voices etc. The airy quality with good soundstage offers really good depth to the sounds and makes everything sound more natural. I have the AD900's and the bass is neutral but it has great extension. I just turn up the bass in my control panel for games a bit and I am shootin' for hours on end. Not sure how the AD700's compare but I imagine they are similar in this regard.

Oct 25, 2007 at 6:08 AM Post #13 of 20
What would be the cheapest place to get audio technicas.Its so hard to make a decision both headphones are good a700 good bass don't leak sound ad700 nice sound stage.I might have to chug for the a900 reviews seem to claim it has everything I need.kaywalker we should just go for the a900 and that would settle everything lol.Anybody know a place in nyc where i could try headphones in person or buy to try without return fee lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back