Open -vs- Closed Cans???
Mar 16, 2010 at 7:05 AM Post #16 of 30
Mar 16, 2010 at 7:24 AM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mochan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One more thing -- you can use players with DSP effects to achieve a surround effect as well. For gaming X-Fi's "CMSS-3D Headphone" is really the only way to go, nothing else on the market today can create a precise 3D positional soundscape like it.

For general music listening though I strongly prefer Dolby Headphone to CMSS-3D Headphone. For music you can get Foobar and configure it to use Dolby Headphone. Sounds marvelous.

For movies I am not sure what to do; I always watch movies with 5.1 surround speakers.

I meant specifically for gaming, CMSS-3D is the only way to go. Having said that, I generally despise all forms of "surround sound" processing with music. My soundcard has Dolby Headphone, and turning it on makes the soundstage artificial and awful (in my opinion) when used with music.

I digress though. The HD555's have enough bass (once burned in, and after the foam mod) to be what I'd call "adequate". Having said that, I couldn't say if they have more or less than the AD700's.

Mar 16, 2010 at 7:36 AM Post #18 of 30
I have 4 headphones, one is close and others are open.

Other than SQ, one should know what you are listening by open cans people surround you also hear. My wife always know what songs I am listening due to sound leaking. If you want to hear somethings secretly, better stay away from open.

Mar 16, 2010 at 7:59 AM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I meant specifically for gaming, CMSS-3D is the only way to go. Having said that, I generally despise all forms of "surround sound" processing with music. My soundcard has Dolby Headphone, and turning it on makes the soundstage artificial and awful (in my opinion) when used with music.

I digress though. The HD555's have enough bass (once burned in, and after the foam mod) to be what I'd call "adequate". Having said that, I couldn't say if they have more or less than the AD700's.

Totally agree with you on CMSS-3D Headphone for gaming. For music well I like Dolby HP but many don't, no worries.

Mar 16, 2010 at 8:24 AM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Totally agree with you on CMSS-3D Headphone for gaming. For music well I like Dolby HP but many don't, no worries.

It's just not my cup of tea. I can see how others would like it, but I like to be in the fifth or sixth row, compared to the tenth or eleventh, if that makes any sense.

CMSS 3D is amazing though. It's the closest thing you can get to 5.1 without actually having a 5.1 setup. Well worth putting up with Creative's bloatware.

Mar 16, 2010 at 9:24 AM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

I thought the AD700s also had weak bass?

I think its depends how you want your game to be. If you want your games to be impressive with big booms etc.. then bassy cans are better but with chances that some of that will sometime cover noise like footsteps then.
So it is often recommended for shooters in multiplayers at high level to use light bass cans, if its for mmorpg/single player games, it doesn't matter.
But then many high level players are perfectly fine with bassy and closed cans as well
wink.gif

Mar 16, 2010 at 10:46 AM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by joomongj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd recommend open back cans since you have a quiet room and generally open cans have wider soundstage and you just said you game a lot. Also people here will tell you surround sound in headphones is gimmicky maybe w/ the exception of Ultrasone ED8 that has S-Logic. Since I haven't heard it I won't speculate any further. Useful readings on open vs closed:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/gen...closed-475835/
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/ope...phones-309583/

Just so you don´t get the ED 8 regarding soundstage... Pro 900 have amazing soundstaging. way superior to the Edition 8 and is quite a bit cheaper. Pro 750 was also a lot better though it´s not as good as the 900 in this regard.

Mar 16, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just so you don´t get the ED 8 regarding soundstage... Pro 900 have amazing soundstaging. way superior to the Edition 8 and is quite a bit cheaper. Pro 750 was also a lot better though it´s not as good as the 900 in this regard.

How does ss compare to d7k? Still amazing?

Mar 16, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #24 of 30
Dollar for dollar an open headphone will
sound better than their closed
counterpart. For me personally I find a
closed headphone claustrophobic
sounding. One of the things that closed
headphones generally have over an
open one, if you like that sort of thing, is
that the bass has more impact. Although
that doesn't mean the bass is better. I'm
not a basshead so...
Isolation is also another thing closed cans
offer.
All said, imho, open phones just sound
better for the buck. Compare the Denon
1001 to, say, the Grado 80(i), the Grado
easily sounds much better to my ears.
The airy sound and clarity of open cans
beat the closed and more muffled sound
of closed at the same price point. Of
course the uber expensive 'phones of
both are going to sound great. but, I'll
take open over closed all day if isolation
isn't an issue.

Mar 16, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #25 of 30
Wow... this is a lot of great info... almost too much, but I'm listening! I've done a little looking (reading) around, and I've come up with a few that I really like the looks of. It seems that Amazon has the best selection, although there is one on the Egg:
Sony MDR-SA5000 $350 EGG. No one mentioned Sony?

Grado prestige series SR325is $300 Amzn
Denon ADH2000 $300 Amzn (I really like the 5000 $440) Is it worth it?
Beyer DT990 $285 Amzn
Senn HD650 $388 Amzn
Beyer MMX300 $410 Amzn (What do you think?)

Now with this Sound card:

Newegg.com - HT | OMEGA Claro Halo 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Card w/ a built-in HI-FI Headphone Amplifier - Sound Cards

H|T Omega Claro Halo... is this enough amp?

Thanks for all the input... I'm sure I've got lots more questions...

hagatha

Mar 16, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by joomongj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does ss compare to d7k? Still amazing?

Have never heard the D7000. Ed 8s soundstage size is only amazing if you consider the size of the head cups really
smily_headphones1.gif
. It´s quite precise within 3D space though but instrument separation still get hurt when you don´t have enough space to work with.

I am curious about which ultrasone has the best soundstage myself. Pro 900 is as mentioned way way better in that regard.

Mar 16, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Have never heard the D7000. Ed 8s soundstage size is only amazing if you consider the size of the head cups really
smily_headphones1.gif
. It´s quite precise within 3D space though but instrument separation still get hurt when you don´t have enough space to work with.

I am curious about which ultrasone has the best soundstage myself. Pro 900 is as mentioned way way better in that regard.

cool cool though I suspect open cans are still better even so than the p900 ss wise. 701 wins over d7k hands down for that matter at least from what I hear.
wink.gif

Mar 16, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #28 of 30
Somebody will stay away from PRO900 "super" soundstage, better go to try that first. I enjoy ED8 soundstage, anyway.

Beyer DT990 is much cheaper is other way, around $240 if I remember. D2000 if you going to mod that than will be cheaper than getting D5000.

Mar 16, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #29 of 30
Pro 900 was better then the K701... The K701 goes slightly wider surely but it make everything wide... Sometimes nice for live concerts an overly airy presentation can sound more natural. Where studio recordings suffer a bit on the K701. But very inaccurate for watching movies with it.

I am sure there is open headphones that beat both these. K1000 I would take for granted does for example. HD 800 may if it doesn´t fall in the same trap as the K701? R10 may also I will never know but sony seem to have researched this a lot
smily_headphones1.gif

I haven´t listened to all open headphones but K701, HD 650, German Maestro line etc doesn´t unless the only thing you measure is the maximum width.

Mar 17, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Pro 900 was better then the K701... The K701 goes slightly wider surely but it make everything wide... Sometimes nice for live concerts an overly airy presentation can sound more natural. Where studio recordings suffer a bit on the K701. But very inaccurate for watching movies with it.

I am sure there is open headphones that beat both these. K1000 I would take for granted does for example. HD 800 may if it doesn´t fall in the same trap as the K701? R10 may also I will never know but sony seem to have researched this a lot
smily_headphones1.gif

I haven´t listened to all open headphones but K701, HD 650, German Maestro line etc doesn´t unless the only thing you measure is the maximum width.

No, not the only thing I measure but inclusive in what I account for. Depth, height if either or both exist(s), there isn't much debate to my ears either. Besides I never asked whether one phone was better over the other though I can easily think of one person that would disagree other than myself (hint: his alias starts w/ A
wink_face.gif
).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back