Open up AKG K702 headphones
Sep 10, 2011 at 6:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

JeebuzCrist

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, so the left side of my AKG K702 headhpones has stopped working, I accidentally dropped them a small height and I'm guessing something has come unplugged (I hope). How can I open them to see whats inside?

Sep 10, 2011 at 8:57 AM Post #2 of 9
Same way you would open K701s. It's vaguely well-documented - the grills rotate and then pop out and you take it from there if memory serves.

Sep 10, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #3 of 9
Hmmm, your not refering to the ear cushions are you? Or are you referring to the metal "grates"? I can't seem to twist the grates but I can get the cushion off. I had a look online and I couldn't find anything, I just keep getting links to other AKG headphones

Sep 10, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #4 of 9
Stick anything that is pointy into the grill/grates and use it to twist the grill anticlockwise. It will come off, exposing screws to be unscrewed - only then can you really get at the cabling.

Sep 10, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #5 of 9
I don't suppose this would be of any help.
http://anythingbutipod.com/2010/03/how-its-made-akg-k702-headphones/

Oct 26, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #6 of 9
Hi...did anyone ever get a chance to Open the AKG K702?  I tried to turn the grill and it just doesn't budge...already scratching the grill coating.

In the video clip, there is that special hand twister tool...wonder how to get a hold of that.

Oct 26, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #8 of 9
I will have to give that a try, using the tape.  I found it resistant to scissors, skinny screw driver, etc.  Thanks for the suggestion...will let you know how it go.

Dec 18, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #9 of 9
An Update

I was able to get my K702 repaired.  The original housing looked like it had a permanent cable attached while the repaired headphone now a detachable cable.  I also think they replaced the ear pieces...but left my original SN the same under the headband.  As long as the sound is coming through, I am happy.  The shop was in Mexico so my guess is that the actual repair is being done in Mexico for the San Diego branch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back