Open the Pod bay doors PLEASE Hal...
Sep 9, 2002 at 5:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

HighwayStar

Won't excrete urine on your holiday (unless you do so to his first).
As in the movie he put up a brave fight but lost in the end. After many hours, the iPod won. iPod for Windows that is. Please note that this battle ensued due only to my pathetic hardware and the absolute mind numbing frustration of MS Windows.

He laughed until he cried (or was it the other way around...) My journey began with a Win '95 box, cheap Addonics firewire card and the Pod. The Win '95 box was put together long ago as an experiment, an MP3 jukebox hooked in the HT, (soundcard & TView Gold). So, first step, upgrade to Win2K for firewire support. Cake right up to the BSD which was final. Fine, clean install. Oh-uh, you need new video drivers. Fine. Oh-oh, new driver requires DirectX 8. Fine. Download all over dial-up. Fine. Download EphPod cause I hate MM almost as much as Windows. Down. Crack the case, (it's been a while since I configured the hardware), find three PCI slots. SCSI controller, soundcard, video card. (please note this POS has an onboard POS video controller). So the only expendable card is the video card. Which I just spent hours downloading software for. (he's cruel and vengeful god...) Yank the video card, insert firewire card. Pretty much smooth sailing from there. Got some info from ipodlounge.com regarding the installation of EphPod & MM. (basically how to disable MM, thank you very much). Everything's working fine and I've NEVER seen anything download so fast. Ahh, fire good !

This iPod is something else. Incredible. Even the design of the AC adapter impressed me. I'm thinking I could be easily seduced by this Apple...

Sorry for the long post, I just needed to share my pain. And my ultimate victory
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 9, 2002 at 2:23 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by williamgoody
Are you sure you're not really 'williwmgoody' in disguise? This sounds suspiciously like a situation he would find himself in?
wink.gif

LOL ! At one point there I would have paid real money for a disguise.

Sep 9, 2002 at 2:59 PM Post #4 of 19
LOL. Now all you need to do is to swap that W2K box for a real computer...

Sep 9, 2002 at 4:46 PM Post #5 of 19
Oh agreed. Eventually. But for it's intended purpose it gets by. Hey, I thought adding firewire to a 200mhz PC with 4 hard drives, cd burner, 1gig Jazz drive, soundcard & modem was kinda pushing the envelope
biggrin.gif
XP was simply not an option.

Rest assured there's probably 72 hours of updates & service pack downloads awaiting me
tongue.gif

Sep 9, 2002 at 4:52 PM Post #6 of 19
I meant a real computer.

One with a fruit embossed on it. Hint: They make your iPod.

Sep 9, 2002 at 5:13 PM Post #7 of 19
Ha ! Sorry, I'm too used to the "XP's the best thing since sliced bread" type threads...

Again I have to agree. This is just a small sampling and I'm impressed. Windows may be my cross to bear in the corporate world but maybe a nice PowerMac or iBook for the house... Hmmm...

Sep 9, 2002 at 5:23 PM Post #8 of 19
NOOOOO LUKE, DON'T DO IT, DON'T GO TO THE DARK SIDE!!!

Sep 9, 2002 at 5:27 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by elnero
NOOOOO LUKE, DON'T DO IT, DON'T GO TO THE DARK SIDE!!!

"I am your father's brother's nephew's ex-room mate" (Spaceballs)
biggrin.gif

Sep 9, 2002 at 9:05 PM Post #11 of 19
Now, now... no need to Windows-bash
wink.gif

Highway Star, glad to hear you're liking your iPod. As soon as I can spare the cash, I'm really looking forward to getting one myself!

Sep 9, 2002 at 9:42 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
Now, now... no need to Windows-bash
wink.gif

Highway Star, glad to hear you're liking your iPod. As soon as I can spare the cash, I'm really looking forward to getting one myself!

Hey Mac, thanks. It really is amazing. I had the 4P's on it and it bests any MP3 rig (RAM or CD based) I've tried. The 35's sound great on it as well, but the 4P's were made for this. Makes a great portable rig.

If you get a chance to audition one be careful, you're credit card will leap out of your wallet all by itself
tongue.gif

Sep 9, 2002 at 9:48 PM Post #13 of 19
I know it's not cool to bash, but it's really true. I run XP and it really is spotty. Something so widespread and mainstream you would think would have a greater reliability than it does. I know were talking about computers, but if other products across the board had this rate of reliability, a lot of business' would be out of business.

I really not trying to rant, but facts are facts.

Highway, Windows or otherwise, the ipod is great, and there's a lot of happy winpoder's out there. I'm very interested to see what you think about it.

The thing about Macs are, Yeah, they look nice, but the reliability is sky high. Macland is not without it's evilness either though.

Sep 9, 2002 at 10:02 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by HighwayStar
If you get a chance to audition one be careful, you're credit card will leap out of your wallet all by itself
tongue.gif

LOL! Oh, I've tried them -- at the Expo in July there were rows and rows of them
smily_headphones1.gif
I even have a friend who's a developer, so I can get the 20GB model for $399; I just don't have the cash right now...!

Sep 9, 2002 at 10:05 PM Post #15 of 19
williamgoody,

I can't address XP (simple don't have the hardware, work or home to run it) but I've got a belly full of hurt from Windows. Install one little thing it don't like and you're rebuilding your whole machine. Again & again.

I don't know what it's like on the other side, but it can't be any worse...

Well color me a happy winpodder. I love it. And I was worried about using the 4P's with it... they're perfect. I'm sure sticking the META42 and the 4P>4S adapter cable in there would be a great improvement, but I really wanted to downsize my portable rig. The P's & the Pod (there I go again...) are it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back