Open sourcing the X5 firmware
Jul 12, 2014 at 10:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

JediRemi

New Head-Fier
I am glad to have tools to unpack the firmware. It lets us edit graphics and config files.

Seeing the number of engineers hanging out on these forums, I was wondering if FiiO would release the source of the X5 firmware code ?
I am sure that the community would be able to produce wonderful things and it wouldn't cost much to FiiO.

Jul 12, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #2 of 6
This is what I found on the same question for the X3 while reading the forum:

Originally Posted by CH23

Sadly not, this was asked before; the firmware was made by, or with help of another company, and it contains proprietary parts.

If it is the case for the X5 too,
I was wondering if it was just libraries being used or even parts of code in the core. 

If it is just libraries, they can be given in a static library (compiled) form, and we would never see their source code.
Then we could just work on the FiiO part of the code.

Does this make sense ?

Jul 22, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #4 of 6
The idea of modularizing the code to separate what could be customized from what cannot seems logical.

right now I mainly want a more easily navigable user interface and maybe playlist support. I had wanted better support of the DAC but that does not look very likely.

Aug 14, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #5 of 6
The idea of modularizing the code to separate what could be customized from what cannot seems logical.

right now I mainly want a more easily navigable user interface and maybe playlist support. I had wanted better support of the DAC but that does not look very likely.

As it turns out, the "system on a chip" that's being used for the X3 and X5, uses a certain architecture, closed source. And that's the core reason it can't be open sourced. FiiiO is contractually prohibited to do so (for now)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back