Open Source WDM drivers for CMI8738/8768 based cards
Feb 24, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #16 of 20
I've used dogbert's drivers for a few years now (it seems) and they might be the best and easiest to get bit-perfect from I've ever had!

I bought a bunch of the zoltrix cmedia cards and opto/coax dongles that went along with them and they're still the card of choice imho.

usb audio is kind of taking over, so pci is less and less relevant, but for the next 5 yrs or so (until pci finally goes away, whenever that is) pci still is useful and some pci cards are VERY cheap in price.

if you are looking for an 8738 card, be SURE it has digital out. a lot of them are 'sx' based and have analog ONLY as the output (which does 'us' no good)
wink.gif

with the 8738 you can also output 'raw' ac3 and dts just fine, for some AVC to do its DACing for you
wink.gif

Feb 24, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #17 of 20
I have used these drivers for over a year now with a Sweex SC003, the only Cmedia soundcard listed on Dogbert's website that is low profile and has a coax spdif output. I've tried alternative cards, but this one sounded the best.

Another interesting point to mention is the fact that if I use these drivers with ASIO4ALL from within Foobar it doesn't sound as good as if I use Kernel streaming directly through the drivers. Needless to say I don't use the internal DAC. I just use teh card and drivers as a digital transport to my external DAC.

Some of the (older) sound cards listed can with a bit of luck be found for as low as $10 on eBay. I am absolutely happy with my setup.

Thanks Dogbert

Jan 27, 2011 at 9:14 AM Post #18 of 20
I see no posts in almost 2 years....

Is there somewhere else I can look for better drivers for the 8768+ & Win7 64 bit?

Or should I be looking at PCI express sound cards?

...h....e...ll...ooo.....is anybody out there......

(-:

Feb 4, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #20 of 20
Thanks.

I did a bit more digging around @ Fryes the other day, and found that the Diamond Extreme drivers seem to work as well.  Though I lost my DDL radio button option as noted on Google code site too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back