Open Source Software for Inventory Management?
Jun 21, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by error401 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to throw in my two cents, I've thought about doing this myself a little bit, but really don't have the time to put in. Mostly for the BOM management side of things, the effort of managing the leftover parts from my builds eclipses the cost of just purchasing them again the next time I go to build something - mostly I'm left with lots of extra small resistors and caps that are pennies anyway. Even a simple centralized BOM site that can generate DigiKey/Mouser orders and possibly support grouping of components (e.g. to allow for 'minimal' and 'no holds barred' configuration options for the same BOM) would be ideal. If inventory management were added, it could be set up fairly easily to match your inventory up with the BOM and then generate an order for just the parts you need. Nifty.

Hmm, inventory match. Good idea. We could also have a search for projects you could make with your spare inventory.

Quote:

I have to comment and say that MySQL is absolutely the most horrible 'database' ever conceived, and I really despise that so many open-source webapps are MySQL only with no thought at all put into database agnosticism. If anyone goes ahead with this, please don't commit this sin. If you're going to restrict yourself to a single DB, at least choose something decent like Postgres. Better to make it easy for your app to be db-independent though, since so many hosting providers have MySQL installed.

Yeah, I said MySQL because that is what every host on the planet provides. Postgres is leaps and bounds better, but it doesn't seem like anyone provides it. I'm pretty much going to stick to platform-independent SQL statements rather than get tied down to one particular server.

Quote:

And if this is going to be a centralized site for the community, I've got a decent machine colocated that's not seeing much use right now, I'd be more than willing to host this.

A centralized site is the direction I'd like to take it, have not just BOM management but some of the "social networking" aspects so you can tag, search, share, etc... BOMs. Having it hosted at a colo would rock.

Jun 21, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by pddjsteve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I said MySQL because that is what every host on the planet provides. Postgres is leaps and bounds better, but it doesn't seem like anyone provides it. I'm pretty much going to stick to platform-independent SQL statements rather than get tied down to one particular server.

Well, I have pg installed if it's going to be centralized
wink.gif
. It actually seems like Postgres is starting to break out, more and more providers are offering it alongside MySQL on their shared hosting plans. Pretty much everyone I've talked to that has actually taken the time to try it out becomes an evangelist so it was bound to happen eventually :p

Anyway, I might have time to poke my head in once in a while, but not to take this on myself. Keep the thread rolling with juicy details
biggrin.gif

Jun 21, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #18 of 22
You guys should seriously look into django, then. While django can be used with any of the major sql db's, they actually endorse postgres. Look at the free django book - it's pretty neat - and actually got me excited to start learning it.

http://www.djangobook.com/

I must admit I'm a little biased, because django was started in Lawrence, not too far away from me.

Jun 21, 2007 at 10:15 PM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezkcdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You guys should seriously look into django, then. While django can be used with any of the major sql db's, they actually endorse postgres. Look at the free django book - it's pretty neat - and actually got me excited to start learning it.

http://www.djangobook.com/

I don't know Evan, but the inability of django to feed one's cat seems like a major drawback. Who else is going to do it while you are immersed in this project?

My vote is for django too, but only because every time I do a project in anything other than Python, I find myself thinking, "Why didn't I use Python?" Moreover, the BOM for my most recent project involves spam, spam, spam, spam, eggs, and spam.

Jun 23, 2007 at 1:55 AM Post #21 of 22
n/m...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back