Open Source, Freeware DVD-Video copying applications: questions
Nov 24, 2004 at 5:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Welly Wu

Headphoneus Supremus
I use DVD Shrink 3.20.15 and I use CDBurnerXP Professional 3.0.116 (I know that 3.5.x is coming by the end of this year). I followed the directions to decrypt, rip, encode a DVD-Video DVD-9 type disc but I'm having all sorts of problems burning a working compressed copy onto a blank 4.7GB single layer DVD-R disc. I can burn the disc fine, but it don't play. I stick it in all sorts of DVD-Video or DVD-ROM drives and it says that the disc is incompatible.

What am I doing wrong here?

Should I create an .ISO file and burn it onto a disc or should I allow DVDShrink to create the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders within a folder in my Windows XP Professional SP-2 (security tweaked) partition using NTFS?

What settings do I need to check off in the options / preferences menu system in CDBurnerXP Professional to burn a working compressed DVD-Video that can play on consumer electronics and computer DVD drives?

I've wasted 4 blank DVD-R discs and I've followed all of the (slightly dated) tutorials with no luck. Please help me out here if you use these open source, freeware applications to do the same thing I'm trying to achieve. TIA!

I have no problems burning raw data onto blank discs using CDBurnerXP PRO and my Plextor PX-708UF or PX-482448TU drives.

Nov 24, 2004 at 9:29 AM Post #4 of 12
I gave up.

I'm going to try my hand at using DVDShrink to decrypt/rip/encode .ISO files on my HDD folder. Then, I'm going to use PlexTools Professional 2.18 to burn the .ISO file onto a blank DVD+RW disc so I can experiment without wasting more discs.

I just got NetFlix stuff at home today. Hence, my "need."
wink.gif

Nov 24, 2004 at 7:06 PM Post #5 of 12
I let DVD Shrink backup the DVD on the harddrive and let it also create the Video_TS and Audio_TS folders. I then use Nero to create a DVD-Video compilation and drag the Video and Audio folders into the compilation list and then burn the dvd. haven't had any problems so far. I haven't used CD BurnerXP pro yet, but i'll give it a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back