Open Source-Fi
Mar 21, 2010 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

hardRAWKR

100+ Head-Fier
Free stuff is great. I love open source programs. I would really be nothing without them.
So what open-source programs do you use, and what are your favorites? What do you think of open-source?

Right now I use Blender, TuxGuitar, Firefox of course, and Audacity just to name a few.

Mar 21, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #3 of 18
I take it you have a mac then? :p

Mar 27, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #6 of 18
I installed Ubuntu on my parents home computer, because it was slow on Win XP. Makes me so proud to see my parents using open source, even if they don't understand what that means.

Mar 27, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #7 of 18
Currently installed OSS off the top of my head:

Firefox, Ubuntu (and all its programs), VLC, Pidgin, FileZilla, OpenOffice, Audacity, Inkscape, Gimp, Boxee, and Handbrake.

Mar 27, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #8 of 18
I really want to try out OpenOffice. How does it compare to Microsoft Office?

Mar 30, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #11 of 18
7-Zip, Amarok, Audacity, DOSBox, FileZilla, Firefox, OpenOffice.org, Pidgin, Thunderbird, and VLC are the typical Open Source applications I'm liable to have installed on a Windows rig at any given time.

In Linux builds, (almost) everything is Open Source
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 31, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #12 of 18
I actually find OpenOffice to be a big pile of crap compared to MS Office. I almost never use it for creating documents--I prefer gedit using LaTeX, or LyX when I'm feeling lazy. The only thing I typically use OpenOffice for is to do quick spreadsheet work, or to view PowerPoints.

I run Ubuntu 9.10 on both my Lenovo T61 and my iMac G5. It runs flawlessly on both. My favorite open source programs so far are Evolution, Octave, and GIMP. I use plain old Rhythmbox for music... haven't found a real reason to switch.

Mar 31, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #13 of 18
im using Ubuntu on an old Motion Computing tablet. my favorite application by far is Xournal. great for note taking with the ability to annotate pdf's.

Mar 31, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually find OpenOffice to be a big pile of crap compared to MS Office. I almost never use it for creating documents--I prefer gedit using LaTeX, or LyX when I'm feeling lazy. The only thing I typically use OpenOffice for is to do quick spreadsheet work, or to view PowerPoints.

Haven't heard LaTeX mentioned in a long while. I used TeX a long time ago to write my graduate thesis, after switching from nroff/troff. It was about the time when Microsoft came out with their Equation Editor, but it certainly wasn't as efficient as using TeX for complex mathematical formulae. Come to think of it, the original AT&T troff / nroff wasn't that bad, either, although the instruction set was somewhat limited since the tool was designed primarily for writing comp. sci. documents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back