Open/Semi Open portable with sound similar to HD600 or IE8
Jan 25, 2010 at 6:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

dweaver

Headphoneus Supremus
I am looking for a nice portable headphone that would give me the approximate sound of the HD600 or possibly IE8.

I need something for at work that is not as conspicous as my HD600 and that can be driven by my Ipod Touch 2G or at worst a small portable amp. I have tried several IEM and find they are just to isolating.

I have also tried AKG K412P which I liked mostly but found the constant touch of the foam on my ear irritating and I also found the treble to be a bit rolled off and the midrange a bit recessed. My second attempt was a pair of ES7 which were closed but not overly isolating. They sounded pretty darn nice but ultimately just hurt to much!

So I am considering these headphones:

Senn HD238
ATH-EP700
AKG K430 (worried about similar comfort issues I experienced with K412P and also think they have to similar a sound signature).

I am not opposed to a closed headphones so long as it does not have good isolation characteristics. In that line I can get Shure 440 on sale at Future Shop for $99 right now, would these sound anything like my HD600 or is it just wishfullthinking I can find a closed can that has a good sound stage? Also is this a can that would simply be to isolating?

Jan 25, 2010 at 11:55 AM Post #2 of 19
Tough call, the HD600 is really well balanced and is already an outstanding bargain for the price, provided that you amp it adequately and have a good enough source.

Stax SR-001 Mk2 would be my first choice. Don't know your budget but the price already includes an amp. The mids are a bit more forward on this one, but on the whole it should blow an unamped/underamped HD600 away. Tone is quite similar, but being an electrostatic it's way faster and more detailed. Great bass too, but you will have to fiddle around with fit for a bit in order to get optimum sound. The effect fit has on sound is pretty major.

There's really nothing portable that will get close to the SR-001 at even twice the price. UM3x is similar, but not on the same level technically.

Jan 25, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #3 of 19
I hear you about the HD600, I love it. This portable would be wonderfull if it was that nice but does not have to be the same quality. A stax system is out of my price range I suspect and portability is important so nothing with bigger amp needs will work.

I just want a headphone with similar qualities, if it is a bit bassier thats OK but I do want decent treble and midrange so the bass can not completely overwhelm those areas.

Jan 25, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #4 of 19
any other thoughts on this? BTW consider my budget to be around $200.

Jan 26, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by pekingduck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD238 does not sound like the HD600 at all (I have both)

Thanks pekingduck, can you decribe the difference in the sound between the two? Or is the HD238 simply no where near as good as the HD600. I do understand it would be quite the stretch for them to be anywhere near the same quality considering the difference in cost and design.

Acix, I'll look at the GMP but I believe the cost is quite high for me in Canada so it will likely be out of the running.

Jan 26, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #11 of 19
hmmm, I have heard a pair of PX100 and they did sound pretty nice I'll add them to my list of portables to look at. For their price I can't go to far wrong.

Jan 26, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by dweaver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks pekingduck, can you decribe the difference in the sound between the two? Or is the HD238 simply no where near as good as the HD600. I do understand it would be quite the stretch for them to be anywhere near the same quality considering the difference in cost and design.

Acix, I'll look at the GMP but I believe the cost is quite high for me in Canada so it will likely be out of the running.

HD238:
The bass goes deeper but is bit boomy and sometimes too strong.
The mids are recessed.
Sounds thinner and colder as a whole.

The HD600 has better tonal balance.

(Actually I wanted to suggest the ESW10JPN but it's way out of your budget
tongue.gif
)

Jan 26, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PX100 gets you about 80% of HD600/650

This is a very bold statement. The difference between headphones is not easily quantifiable but 80% leaves the impression that px100 and hd600 sound quite similar and this is definitely not true. Actually I would say that the difference in the price is more representative to the difference between the two. Even ie6 is considerably better than px100 and, being in-ear - far more portable.

Jan 26, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #14 of 19
LOL I would love to buy the ESW10JPn or even the ESW9 but both are just a bit to much at the moment.

I think I will try the PX100, for the price they are a good option. I finally found the right tips for my Triple fi 10 IEM's and they sound awesome but I am completely deaf with them in (great for listening at low volume levels). So while I am completely happy with them as an IEM I really do need something less isolating so I am off to get the PX100 (or possibly even the old AKG K412P if they have any left at the store I got them at.

Jan 26, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #15 of 19
Peter73;

I am quite familiar with my HD600 and will pay close attention to the sound of the PX100 if I give them a try. I do realize I won't really get the same sound quality out of a pair of portable open phones and I also understand that IEM's will sound better. I actually bought a pair of IE8 (they turned out to be fake so am getting refunded, but they did allow me to get an idea of the amount of isolation they provide) and found they are to isolating even though they are not known for their superior isolation. I would love the get wonderful sound but at this point I will settle for nice music that allows me to hear the people around me. I am actually thinking of having my TF10's custom shelled for those times when I can afford isolation to just listen to music undistracted plus I always have my HD600 for at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back