Open Samson SR850 to change cable
Jun 19, 2018 at 10:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

adriii

New Head-Fier
Hi

I have a pair of Samson SR850 headphones with a broken cable. The cable appears to have an internal break close to where it enters the headphones. I would like to open up the headphones and replace the cable.

I have read that the plastic caps on the outside of the speakers (they have Samson written on them) can be "popped off" with the help of a knife to gain access, but I can't find any pictures or more information. I have tried to pry off a cap but I am distorting it a lot and I an concerned about breaking it. Should I be prying off the cap in a particular place, or is it just a question of going for it and it will come of? Or should I be doing something else to open up the headphones?

Thanks

Adrian.

Jun 19, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #2 of 6
Jun 19, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #3 of 6
The link was very helpful. I was trying to remove the whole cap (like a plastic bottle cap), but I just need to remove the flat cover, and this part has come off very easily to reveal a screw.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Adrian.

Jun 19, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #4 of 6
you're welcome, glad to help. That's why I started the mod thread, sometimes it helps just to see what someone else did to make sense of your own project. Good luck with the cable replacement.

Dec 27, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #5 of 6
I didn't want to make a new thread but I wanted to share my experience with these Samsons. I've had them just under a year and I use them everywhere, yes even riding my bike to work lol. One wire came loose inside the left side. So I copped a soldering iron and solder for seven bucks and an 8 foot Monster cable for seven bucks. Cut the cable in two pieces, one 5 foot (for Samsons) one 3 foot (just in case) and popped the Samsons open. It was all very straightforward. I made a beautiful mess of the plastic but once I closed them back up you couldn't tell. On a side note the right side has a little rubber nub in it that blocks out a hole, should you decide to run a wire to each side instead of the one sided cable style, or even put a jack in both sides..
Also I cut two pieces out of the old cable to put inside the ear cups. It's the perfect distance for my ears. I had removed the foam inside and the plastic touching my ear bothered me but stuffing a little wire in there fixed er right up
GIT ER DONE

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #6 of 6
I didn't want to make a new thread but I wanted to share my experience with these Samsons. I've had them just under a year and I use them everywhere, yes even riding my bike to work lol. One wire came loose inside the left side. So I copped a soldering iron and solder for seven bucks and an 8 foot Monster cable for seven bucks. Cut the cable in two pieces, one 5 foot (for Samsons) one 3 foot (just in case) and popped the Samsons open. It was all very straightforward. I made a beautiful mess of the plastic but once I closed them back up you couldn't tell. On a side note the right side has a little rubber nub in it that blocks out a hole, should you decide to run a wire to each side instead of the one sided cable style, or even put a jack in both sides..
Also I cut two pieces out of the old cable to put inside the ear cups. It's the perfect distance for my ears. I had removed the foam inside and the plastic touching my ear bothered me but stuffing a little wire in there fixed er right up
GIT ER DONE

What orientation did you connect the wires in? I'm getting signal but it's either left heavy or right heavy and I think its something to do with the ground

Users who are viewing this thread

Back