Open 'phones with strong bass impact?
Jul 8, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #17 of 40

Quote:

Maybe you haven't heard an adequately amped DT880? I listen to a lot of electronica, dubstep, D&B and love the DT880 for what they do, more so than my other phones which include a HFI-780, XB500 and a long gone D2000...

I didn't just hear one, I owned one. It has significantly less bass than the T1, which is just above bass neutral, and I wouldn't even take the T1 for Electronic, so yea. They're good cans, more or less equal to D2000 in that price range, but ample bass quantity is something they do not possess.

Jul 8, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #21 of 40
To give a slightly contrarian option - the Sony MDR-SA5000 has excellent bass for an open headphone. It's not as high in quantity as something like an HD650, but it's significantly snappier. You will feel sharpness and speed of impact really well with an SA5000, but will miss out on some of the warmth.

Quick edit - these are also among the best phones for electronic music that I know of, thanks to their transparency and speed

Jul 8, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #22 of 40
Quote:
I didn't just hear one, I owned one. It has significantly less bass than the T1, which is just above bass neutral, and I wouldn't even take the T1 for Electronic, so yea. They're good cans, more or less equal to D2000 in that price range, but ample bass quantity is something they do not possess.

You missed the 'adequately amped' part, what did you drive them with... amp? ...source?

Jul 8, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #23 of 40

Quote:
You missed the 'adequately amped' part, what did you drive them with... amp? ...source?

At the time, Headroom Desktop Amp and E9/E7. Nowadays HDP.

Btw, when you use any can for a while you'll get used to its sound characteristics. I thought the T1 was missing nothing in bass impact, then I put my D7000 on again. I thought the D7000 was missing nothing in midrange, then I put my LCD2 on... etc. DT880's bass isn't bad but I wouldn't consider it Electronic-approved.

Jul 8, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #24 of 40
Quote:
At the time, Headroom Desktop Amp and E9/E7. Nowadays HDP.

Btw, when you use any can for a while you'll get used to its sound characteristics. I thought the T1 was missing nothing in bass impact, then I put my D7000 on again. I thought the D7000 was missing nothing in midrange, then I put my LCD2 on... etc. DT880's bass isn't bad but I wouldn't consider it Electronic-approved.

The Headroom amp seems decent FWIR but like I tell people about the DT880s they benefit strongly from a high impedance tube amp. The E9/E7 is terrible, and don't tell me you use the HDP with Orthos and other high end cans...

Yes I've spoke a lot on becoming accustomed to the headphones you use predominantly and finding their particular neutral, so with that wouldn't you think a headphone closer to neutral would give you a better overall sound? As I say I listen to a lot of electornica and while it is fun on bass dominant headphones like Ultrasone and Denon you miss so much more of the music in comparison with a DT880 and the likes.

Jul 8, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #25 of 40
I guess will have to agree to disagree on that one. The LCD2 is a superb sounding can but if you want fun and rock along the DX it is. The Darth beyer and Thunderpant are other contenders but personally I could care for the rest of the SQ

Quote:
I think that award goes to the LCD2.

As for the pro, I dunno, only had Beyer Premiums and Teslas.

Jul 8, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #26 of 40

Quote:

The Headroom amp seems decent FWIR but like I tell people about the DT880s they benefit strongly from a high impedance tube amp. The E9/E7 is terrible, and don't tell me you use the HDP with Orthos and other high end cans...

Yes I've spoke a lot on becoming accustomed to the headphones you use predominantly and finding their particular neutral, so with that wouldn't you think a headphone closer to neutral would give you a better overall sound? As I say I listen to a lot of electornica and while it is fun on bass dominant headphones like Ultrasone and Denon you miss so much more of the music in comparison with a DT880 and the likes.

I use the HDP with everything now. I've compared it locally to several much more expensive setups and I'm more than happy with it. Don't assume it's weak, especially when you seem to be implying the reason the DT880 doesn't have ample bass quantity for Electronic is because of the amp and not it's signature. DT880 is not harder to drive than my other cans. By the way, any can "benefits" from a tube amp if you want to color the bass.

Of course a neutral sound is better, but the DT880 aren't exactly fully neutral either, look at the bass and highs. And we're talking about Electronic, there's a certain amount of bass that is really needed, and I mean extremely tight, textured, and punchy bass like the T1, not garbage like the low end Ultrasones and XBs. That said, I still feel there isn't enough quantity with the T1 to satisfy for Electronic, and the DT880 has even less, so there you go. If you think it's enough, go ahead and enjoy it.

Jul 8, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #27 of 40

Quote:
I guess will have to agree to disagree on that one. The LCD2 is a superb sounding can but if you want fun and rock along the DX it is. The Darth beyer and Thunderpant are other contenders but personally I could care for the rest of the SQ

You said visceral kick drum, in which case I believe LCD-2 is absolutely the best. For some colored fun though, no doubt the DX and D7000 is better.

Jul 8, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #28 of 40
That 's interesting. I went to try the LCD-2 ready to buy it  after reading all the praise on here about its bass response ( I am a bit of a bass addict 
redface.gif
) but when I compared it to my DX1000 I left  a bit disapointed and didn't buy it. I might have to give it another go...
feedback from those who heard both would be appreciated, particularly considering bass impact or thump. 

Jul 8, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #29 of 40
Absolutely the best for visceral kick drum makes me think the LC2 kicks my head to the left and right every time a kick drum gets hit.  I doubt that's the case with any headphone.  We're not standing in front of 30 inch subwoofers.

Jul 8, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #30 of 40

Quote:
That 's interesting. I went to try the LCD-2 ready to buy it  after reading all the praise on here about its bass response ( I am a bit of a bass addict 
redface.gif
) but when I compared it to my DX1000 I left  a bit disapointed and didn't buy it. I might have to give it another go...
feedback from those who heard both would be appreciated, particularly considering bass impact or thump. 

I don't know why you didn't enjoy it man, the LCD-2 has the most perfect bass I've heard in any can. I find it packs as much bass quantity as it possibly can before descending into artificial colored bass territory (ala DX1000 and D7000). It retains a huge amount of bass but always sounds realistic. It's also the most textured bass I've ever heard, while remaining very tight and punchy. Truly my favorite bass experience, and I'm still surprised the mids remain amazing even with the heaviest tracks (no bleed at all).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back