Open 'phones c. £215
Jan 23, 2010 at 12:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Mato

100+ Head-Fier
Looking for some open headphones with a budget of £215. I listen to lots of classical chamber and was hence considering the K701/2, however I also listen to lots of pop/chart music and so am having second thoughts. What do you guys think? How do the Sennheiser HD600/650s do? or maybe ATs or Beyers?

Thanks for the advice.

Tom.

Jan 23, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #2 of 7
Hiya Tom, £215 is a good budget for open back cans. You are right in there with some great models.

The sound signatures differ quite a bit and so you need to go and listen to see what bast fits your idea of sound and the music that you listen to.

These 3 should give you somewhere to start.

Beyerdynamic DT990 pro

Sennheiser HD 600/650

Grado SR 225i

They can all be had for the sort of money that you quoted on line.

Fot my two pennorth, as you can see I have the lowly SR60 grado and my son has the DT990pro and we swap back and forth quite a bit. I tend to prefer the smooth grado sound and find the DT990 a bit bright at the top end, but my son preferrs the DT990.

I suspect that I would lean towards the SR225i on this basis. Heck I might even go out this afternoon and have a comparison.......but I really cant afford to be buying more headphones
frown.gif

Have a listen and let us know

Jan 23, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the advice! Any ideas on where to get a demo of any of those phones?

Jan 23, 2010 at 12:49 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mato /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the advice! Any ideas on where to get a demo of any of those phones?

I dont know where you are based, but a good tsart would be use the yellow pages to find a hi end audio dealer near you and then gvce them a ring to see what they hold in stock.

I usually find that Sevenoaks has at least a couple of decent headphones and you might try looking to see which is the nearest Linn dealer to where you are.

If you are in London, you should have no troubles.

I would also be considering Audiotechnica and AKG headphones at that same price point, at least they will give you a different perspective.

Jan 23, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #5 of 7
Hi

I am based in London but found it very hard to demo anything before. Superfi stock hardly any headphones in the shop and only order on purchase (although they may well have had the HD600); Sevenoaks in Holborn had next to nothing (I think one pair of Grados and one pair of ATs); I don't think Richer Sounds stock hi-end headphones. Nowhere on Tottenham Court Road would let me demo anything.

Any specific suggestions anyone? Also the only place I found that stocked AKG's open 'phones was Superfi and that was obviously order-upon-purchase.

Thanks for the advice so far
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #6 of 7
Damn, that's poor service.

If you were in Newcastle or Leeds or Hull, I could give you some places.

Richer sounds used to stock the SR60 and SR80 and it would give you a feel for the Grado 'house' sound.

Can anyone help out for friendly dealers in London?

Ps, I am not sure if this helps, but I generally get more help of demos whe I go in wearing a suit and tie compared to jeans and T shirt, I know its wrong, but it does seem the case.
frown.gif

Jan 24, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #7 of 7
Thanks for the fashion tip :p but no seriously I'm not surprised, and will try doing so in the future.

Bump for headphone dealers in London
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back