Open or closed mouth impressions
Jun 25, 2013 at 3:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

senorx12562

500+ Head-Fier
I was checking sources for custom reshelling other than In Ear Customs, when I noticed on Cosmic Ears' website that they are pretty emphatic about requiring open-mouthed impressions be taken for their products. Since that was different from what I thought I remembered the recommendations of In Ear Customs being, I  reviewed the directions I received from them for taking my own impressions, and sure enough, they recommended a closed-mouth impression "if you plan on wearing them a lot," (which I do). They say that an open-mouthed impression will make a larger impression (which makes sense) and will therefor be more fatiguing, and is only recommended when they will be used with an open mouth, i.e., a vocalist. I'd be very interested to hear what those of you with ciems think, and what you remember from the impression process, especially if done by an audiologist

Jun 25, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #2 of 5
I went open-mouthed and they still can be a bit small.  Another thing to consider is placing the dams 2mm deeper than typical ( Westone recommends this ) so when the manufacturer sheers off the end it still passes the 2nd bend of the inner ear.

A bite block is the only way I would ever have it done.

Jul 2, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
I went open-mouthed and they still can be a bit small.  Another thing to consider is placing the dams 2mm deeper than typical ( Westone recommends this ) so when the manufacturer sheers off the end it still passes the 2nd bend of the inner ear.

A bite block is the only way I would ever have it done.

Thanks for your response. Looks like yours is all I'm gonna get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back