open or closed headphones for gaming?
Oct 27, 2004 at 10:47 PM Post #16 of 32
I play at home on my pc only for now but I do use a voice chat program for playing video games. I dont want to hear everyones voice but I want to be able to hear mine so that I can talk normally over voice chat.

I will be using the headphones for mostly gaming, I do listen to some music throughout the day but lets say %90 gaming.

I will be using them for my pc, and currently I have a SB audigy2 zs, for now I would be plugging the phones into there directly but in the future (a.k.a. christmas) I may get an amp if needed.

Oct 27, 2004 at 10:53 PM Post #17 of 32
Put your fingers in your ears and talk. I rekon you'll be able to hear your own voice either way, but it'll probably sound a little more natural with open headphones. I'm wearing A900s right now and when I talk I can hear myself, but it does sound a little odd, but it's perfectly understandable. I use skype with my (closed) Sennheiser 280s at home.

If you definitely want to make the noises around you quieter then A900s are your best choice.

I've read that 595s sound best with an amp, but I don't have any to try myself. The audigy isn't meant to be great for music, a $25 chaintech card is a good upgrade for music, but the Audigy is good for games.

When it comes down to it I think there are two main considerations:
- Open/closed
- Amped/unamped.

Maybe someone else can think of a reason one's better than the other for this application?

Oct 28, 2004 at 1:09 AM Post #19 of 32
how much bass does the A500 have? compared to...say the Sony 7506?

Oct 28, 2004 at 1:47 AM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by tempest993
Your gonna want open phones, especialy if you LAN.

Nah... Last time, i did LAN (a while back.) It was like a mad house, people yelling everywhere. I could hardly hear my headphones at moderate volume. If i EVER go to LAN party again, i'm sure i'll buy at least v6.

Oct 28, 2004 at 1:51 AM Post #21 of 32
Lol, I've actually lanned with my V6's...I leave them half on. Trust me, less of it is in the gaming. Most of it is the hilarity in hearing your friends cussing/yelling at each other.

Open/closed is personal preference as I was just fine leaving my V6's "half on", if you will.

Oct 29, 2004 at 12:32 AM Post #25 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by S_Dedalus
If you've got a loud pc, definately closed, maybe beyer DT770M's, they've got plenty of bass and isolate very well.

They're not as well ballanced as the A900s, IMHO. Very deep, low bass, reasonable highs, mids are a bit weak, and the clarity isn't everything it could be. Great for bassheads, not so much for people who like detail and ballance. All IMHO of course.

Oct 29, 2004 at 12:35 AM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
They're not as well ballanced as the A900s, IMHO. Very deep, low bass, reasonable highs, mids are a bit weak, and the clarity isn't everything it could be. Great for bassheads, not so much for people who like detail and ballance. All IMHO of course.

For gaming they are pretty fun, for regular listening, I'd get them recabled.

Oct 29, 2004 at 12:59 AM Post #27 of 32
One think i hate about closed headphones is you never know when some one knocks at the door, the phone rings or when a damn sibling sneaks in your room and does thing without you knowing. My brother likes to sneak in my room then yell HEY!

Oct 29, 2004 at 2:18 AM Post #29 of 32
Haha that gave me a good chuckle. Any US guys probably have seen that Raisin Bran Crunch commercial which is something like that to a degree...

Oct 29, 2004 at 4:35 AM Post #30 of 32
Hey Blitzzz,

If you are going to pick up a pair of AT's while you are in Japan make sure you buy them in the Akihabara district. The area is known as "Electric Town". There are 100's of shops that sell everything and more you will ever need from an electronics standpoint. The deals on audio equipment are great as well. I picked up my A500's for $89 (9500 Yen) and if you are a foreigner bring your passport as many stores will refend your tax if you show that you aren't a citizen. Also, the place where I bought my cans had a listening station of over 50 headphones and there are many other's that have larger sections as well.

I've been here in Japan for 4 weeks (1 more to go) now so if you need any info let me know and we can get in touch by email.

Sorry, didn't mean to thread-jack btw
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back