open or closed cans for gaming
Sep 25, 2007 at 8:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

johnjester

New Head-Fier
should i get open or closed cans for gaming, i will not be at lans so the noise cancellation does not matter to me, just want the best directional sound i can get, and give me some examples, i have been told DT880's and A-900's so far being told the A-900's are better, however they are both closed and i dont know which is the better option

Sep 25, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #3 of 11
Well, that depends. Do you do a lot of LAN gaming? In that case, closed might be better for you since it isolates the sound. Open headphones are quite loud. When I put my Grado SR225's on the ground, I can still hear them quite easily.

From what I'm told, open headphones have better sound quality than closed ones at the same price point. Don't quote me on that though, can anybody else verify?

Sep 25, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnjester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
should i get open or closed cans for gaming, i will not be at lans so the noise cancellation does not matter to me, just want the best directional sound i can get, and give me some examples, i have been told DT880's and A-900's so far being told the A-900's are better, however they are both closed and i dont know which is the better option

Adding a 5.1 adapter or a pioneer 5.1 headphone will help with directional sound..I hear the sound quality on the Pioneers are quite good, but doubt they would best the 880/900.. I recommended the 595's to 2-3 people in preparation for Halo3.. They really like it for gaming.. They also got the JVC 5.1 adapter I recommended. One loved it with his Sen 555's.. The other two had mixed reviews but still noticed the difference with the adapter..

Sep 25, 2007 at 11:46 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnjester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have been told DT880's and A-900's so far being told the A-900's are better, however they are both closed and i dont know which is the better option

First of all, the DT-880s are open. Second, I don't think you need that good of a headphone for gaming. Why don't you check out the a700 or ad700 (closed and open respectfully I expect to be selling a pair of ad700's as soon as I hit 50 posts if you are intrested). I would get an open headphone, they will have more separation. The ONLY reason to go closed is if you want more bass or want to keep sound out.

the audio-technicas are great for gaming because they are so comfortable.

Sep 26, 2007 at 5:50 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by lostspyder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First of all, the DT-880s are open. Second, I don't think you need that good of a headphone for gaming. Why don't you check out the a700 or ad700 (closed and open respectfully I expect to be selling a pair of ad700's as soon as I hit 50 posts if you are intrested). I would get an open headphone, they will have more separation. The ONLY reason to go closed is if you want more bass or want to keep sound out.

the audio-technicas are great for gaming because they are so comfortable.

disagreed. gaming is quite nice with a very nice set of headphones. fast and accurate, awesome. get the best headphones you can afford.

I have only gamed with open headphones, and I think the directionality is fine (but without a comparison, I know that it does not answer your original question).

Sep 26, 2007 at 6:59 AM Post #9 of 11
If you are contemplating LAN parties, I would shy away from open cans a bit.

Sep 26, 2007 at 8:21 AM Post #10 of 11
I would say closed. I have MDR-V700's and have always used them for everything, including gaming. People always accused me of cheating in Counter-Strike because I could hear a guy coming around a corner and anticipate exactly when he would make it around the corner and fire. It was hilarious. Came in handy in many games where an enemy would try to sneak up on you or something like a sniper was JUST within ear-shot. I don't understand the use of surround headphones because I've always been able to tell where something was coming from with stereo headphones. I use an old SbLive! from before the whole 5.1 ordeal.

Sep 26, 2007 at 8:26 AM Post #11 of 11
Any decent headphone you get will be good for gamming.

I have the hd555 (open) and the DT770's (closed) and both worked great for gaming. But then again, im not an expert, maybe you have a very technical ear...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back