Open On/Over Ear Headphones That Aren't too Big
Dec 5, 2013 at 6:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

DishSoap

New Head-Fier
This is my first post--I've really enjoyed using the forums for research and am excited to finally join.  head-fi seems like a great community.

I'm looking for an open-backed headphone that isn't too big to use at work.  I have two sets of ATH--the M50 and AD900S (open-backed).  I use the 900s at home and have been using the M50s at work but find I really prefer the open sound stage of the 900s.  Also, I don't like people sneaking up and scaring the crap out of me because I have closed-backed cans on.

I'm using a Topping TP30 connected to a macbook air via USB.  Being able to use the headphones without an amp once in a while (i.e., connected directly to a phone, computer, tablet or ipod) would be a plus but not a must.  I listen to all types of music--mostly in MP3 or AAC format for now but am transitioning into lossless.

I'd like something quite a bit smaller than the ATHs because I'll primarily be using them at work and have felt self-conscious with the M50s.  Based on reading here and elsewhere I plan to audition some Grados (125, 225 and 325) and Sennheisers (PX 100-II and HD 239).  I'd love to get some more ideas before I start trekking around town to try them out.

I'm willing to spend up to $350-400 but would also be happy to go a lot lower if I can get something with a good quality-price ratio.  Any recommendations are much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back