Open on ear can for movies
Feb 11, 2015 at 5:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Jim McC

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for an "open" on ear can, mainly for movies. I've tried over the ear models, but they don't work too well with my glasses. Would an on ear model work better?

1) Very comfy, with low clamping pressure

2) Good bass and clear vocals

3) Budget $100

Thanks.

Feb 11, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks. They will be plugged into my A/V receiver. I will change budget to $100. Do the Grados(SR60e and SR80e) have much clamping pressure? Good bass and vocals for movies?

Feb 11, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #4 of 6
  Thanks. They will be plugged into my A/V receiver. I will change budget to $100. Do the Grados(SR60e and SR80e) have much clamping pressure? Good bass and vocals for movies?

Your budget increase doesn't help much.  Your best bets are probably still the Grados and the HD 518.  The HD 558 is still out of range.

Headphone out sections of A/V receivers are generally poor.  Also you don't generally know what type of cans (Ohm and sensitivity rating) they are designed to handle.  It's often down to trial and error.

The HD 518 is generally considered to be more comfortable than the Grados, but it (and the 558) are around ear cans. There just aren't very many open on ear cans--and even fewer within your budget.

Headphone comfort is a very individual thing.  Sizing and sensitivities are unique to each person--amount of clamping force that causes discomfort too.  We can point you to headphones that are generally considered to be comfortable and mention others that have garnered complaints for being uncomfortable.  However, the only way to know for sure is to wear them yourself for a time equivalent to your longest listening session.

Feb 12, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #5 of 6

Headphone comfort is a very individual thing.  Sizing and sensitivities are unique to each person--amount of clamping force that causes discomfort too. 

+1

You should consider Yamaha HPH-200.

Fidelio M1 are on ear, and pretty comfortable, but are closed back headphones. Same applies to Beyerdynamic DTX501p.

Best Luck!

Feb 13, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks guys. I'm thinking of the Grado SR80e. How is the clamping pressure? Is it a good choice for movies?

I don't mind a closed can like the CAL, if the clamping pressure is light. The one I'm testing now(HD558) clamps too tight over my glasses, causing discomfort.

Is the CAL a good choice for movies?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back