Open Headphones under $300 compared to SR225i
Mar 21, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #16 of 26

Quote:
SR225 is pretty much going to be your best bet. The SR-225 can compare with the HD600, and even the HD650 if you don't like laid-back headphones. (I like all headphones, so it's doubly expensive for me)

The other alternative that is a strong performer for the money is an HD580 if you can find one. They're usually under $200 and they're basically an HD600 sans cable (it does make a difference switching between cables) and different grills.

I use Spotify Premium too, even at my level of rig. I can't really tell the difference between it and FLAC anyway unless it's very specific tracks.

Are you saying the HD-580 has a different cable than the HD-600? They look the same to me.

I highly suggest the HD-580. This is where it gets weird...the HD-600 or HD-580 with HD-600 grills is the very definition of NOT FUN. Sorry if that hurts anyone's feelings, but it just doesn't do it for me with stock cable etc.

I do however love the HD580, but it's just due to how it has better bass, more upper mids (less low mids) and more treble. Sounds clearer too. Even graphs reflect this. All the differences are minor and caused by the HD-580 grills.

I got an HD-580 for $160. Totally 100% happy with it. I was very surprised I liked it when HD-600 bores me to death.

Mar 21, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #17 of 26

Quote:
Let the flaming begin

typical head-fi snob response

the HD650's are very efficient compared to some other cans like the 250ohm 880's. I DO drive the 650's properly but they are perfectly musical when plugged into a crappy amplifier...

I agree with this. With my HD-600 I can plug it into a crappy $40 X-Fi Go DAC and it sounds amazing. Don't know how or why. Doesn't sound as good from my Ipod Classic 3G, but still not too bad.
Now certainly I'd never suggest it without an amp, but still not bad.

Mar 22, 2012 at 5:34 AM Post #18 of 26

Quote:
Are you saying the HD-580 has a different cable than the HD-600? They look the same to me.

I highly suggest the HD-580. This is where it gets weird...the HD-600 or HD-580 with HD-600 grills is the very definition of NOT FUN. Sorry if that hurts anyone's feelings, but it just doesn't do it for me with stock cable etc.

I do however love the HD580, but it's just due to how it has better bass, more upper mids (less low mids) and more treble. Sounds clearer too. Even graphs reflect this. All the differences are minor and caused by the HD-580 grills.

I got an HD-580 for $160. Totally 100% happy with it. I was very surprised I liked it when HD-600 bores me to death.

Yes, they look the same but they're different as they actually have a different part number I believe.

Wait what, the grills change the ****ing sound? I can't actually believe that, it's just bits of squiggly plastic replaced by a hex grill, how could that have that much of an impact, we'd all run grill-less if it made that huge a difference right?

The HD580 with stock cable sounds a bit darker, I can't comment on how the grills sound since I got rid of those since day two, the HD600 and 650 cable introduce a little clarity. Again it's not that much of a risky investment considering how cheap they can be.

The HD580 I have, I bought in 2007 off ebay for 180 BNIB, it's been through a lot of hours with me, but I think I got a replacement one when I sent mine in for their "HD580 refurbishing program" because the unit I got back sounded different, therefore introducing the possibility that they may have swapped drivers since mine might not have been in spec. At the time I thought the $120 charge was a bit steep, but the first and only time I've ever used Sennheiser customer service was the reason that even though I don't personally like their headphones for my music, that I will always have a deep respect for them and those who enjoy them.

HD650's are efficient... but they require an amp that puts out 500mw per channel. The reason you can get appropriate volume is because thats due to the voltage of your source, the sound will only be like 50% of the fidelity that the drivers are capable of. It's an ancient argument, but only those who have 'em know... volume isn't always the absolute answer to having enough power.

As an orthodynamic user now, I know the difference between current and voltage :)

Mar 22, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #19 of 26

Quote:
I really think the SR225i are what you need. The DT880 may be better but also more analytical and most models require an amp and it is already more expensive than the 225i. But what exactly are the qualities of the M50 that you like because both the 225i and dt880 are very different from the M50 sound?

Yeah, it sounds like I probably need to find out if the SR225i's are my best bet.  What I like about the M50's is that they sound dynamic in my opinion but not fatiguing at all.  I wouldn't mind if the 225i's sounded way different as long as I like it, i guess that the part that i'm gonna have to find out.  Thanks for your help!

Mar 22, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #20 of 26

Quote:
Yeah, it sounds like I probably need to find out if the SR225i's are my best bet.  What I like about the M50's is that they sound dynamic in my opinion but not fatiguing at all.  I wouldn't mind if the 225i's sounded way different as long as I like it, i guess that the part that i'm gonna have to find out.  Thanks for your help!

The SR-225 isn't going to sound as "dynamic" to you right off the bat just because it's not boomy, once you peel back that boomyness, you get beautiful beautiful sound with a midrange to rival the most expensive headphones! The comfort is kinda wonky, but even the instructions tell you to adjust the headband, I have mine on pretty loose so it just kinda sits on my head, doesn't really clamp and it's superb from there!

In terms of fatigue, it's really up to you, the treble is elevated in quantity so you don't have to blast music to hear the same details, so if you're a moderately loud listener, it could be straining, for me I never actually minded the sound signature and obviously I would go so far as to say I prefer it over almost every other one.

Mar 22, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #21 of 26
If you like acoustic music, then definitely get the AKG Q701's. Best headphones for that category. IMO are much better than the K601's. You can get the Q701's on Amazon for $300. Check into them and tell me what you think about those cans.

Mar 28, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #22 of 26
I would reccomend the sr225i also and if they seem a bit harsh try the tape mod. This gives them a little more bass and reduced the piercing highs that I felt they had sometimes. As for comfort I hated them at first but after a few weeks of wearing them I don't find them to be so bad. I usually listen to them for a few hours straight before I have to take them off for a quick break.

Mar 28, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #23 of 26
Thanks Fringe, I think I've made up my mind that I will try out the 225i for my next pair.  Although I really like the look of the new Philip Fidelio L1s, they look very comfortable.  Choices, choices, choices!!

Los

Mar 28, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #24 of 26
Oh Hifiman HE-300 is also a contender at this price range. Way way better build quality, replaceable cables, sound is subjective to your taste but it definitely looks and feels amazing for the price. It's a nice meaty well balanced sound compared to some of the other suggestions here which can be considered taste dependent.

May 2, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #25 of 26
I took an interest in the sennheiser hd 598 and from the many reviews I read, they are great for rock, classical, jazz, acoustics, etc. Not any bass heavy stuff (though they should perform ok), but for rock, they should be great. I plan on getting a pair soon as well as a hifiman ef2a. if you are going to buy really any headphone over $150, you should really buy an amp to get the most out of it.

May 2, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #26 of 26
I recommend the DT990 over the SR225 for many reasons.  The first is cost.  If you go Grado you might as well go with the SR80i or SR60i as the sound signature is so similar to their higher end models that I cannot justify the cost.  Why pay more for something you will not hear?  Second, the comfort issue for Grado headphones is something that keeps me away from them.  They can / will hurt the outside of your ears at times.  Why wear an uncomfortable headphone?  Lastly, the DT990 is more fun sounding as is made quite a bit more rebust than the SRxxi line.

The DT990 is a colored sounding headphone and if you prefer a more analytical sound the HD600 / HD650 is probably a better start.  The issue with the HD600/650 is they really need a good amp to sound their best because of their frequency dependent impedance curve and driver filtering.

Here are some charts showing several Grado headphones all of which I have either owned or auditioned extensively:

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=393&graphID[]=353&graphID[]=373&graphID[]=293&

See how the frequency response ( measured ) is very similar on each headphone?  The major differences are from the pads on the headphones as the drivers are the same in each headphone.  In fact the SR60 has the deepest bass response of the bunch and costs the least!  I also find it the most comfortable.  If you want the Grado experience go with the SR80i and buy some bowl pads.  For a brighter sound use the bowl pads and for more low end use the comfy pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back