Open Headphones to Suit Acoustic, Folk/Singer-songwriter, and Rock
Dec 28, 2014 at 8:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

slmckay73

Head-Fier
I've been looking around for an eventual first pair of open headphones. I've never so much as seen a pair in person, but the idea of a really spacious soundstage appeals to me a lot. As mentioned in the title of the thread, I'll use them for a lot of more mellow, mostly acoustic Folk and Singer/Songwriter music, but probably also for some Alternative Rock and Indie Rock. Are there any headphones $200 or under with a really spacious soundstage that would suit these genres really well? I would imagine that more prominent and very detailed mids would be important, and good detail and extension into the treble as well; (but I don't want anything super bright that would be harsh to listen to). I'd also like the bass to be tight and well-extended, but not emphasized by any means--just enough to give the music some body. 

I realize that a sound signature that fits the more acoustic stuff probably won't fit rock as well and vice versa, so the acoustic stuff takes precedence. I know this is a pretty detailed wish list, but if anyone knows of some headphones that get pretty close to what I described, then I would greatly appreciate some recommendations.  

*Edit*
I ran across the Grado SR225e on Headroom, and they seem like they could possibly fit the bill. If you have these, what do you think of them? Any opinions on whether these would work well with the above genres?

Dec 29, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #2 of 12
HD558/HD598 could be good, are these going to be run out of a PC? Not sure on the Grados, they seem to be hit-or-miss.

Dec 29, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #3 of 12
  HD558/HD598 could be good, are these going to be run out of a PC? Not sure on the Grados, they seem to be hit-or-miss

Currently I just use some Steelseries in-ears either with a Macbook Air or iPod Touch 5, but presumably I would also get a DAC/amp to run the headphones in question from my Macbook.  

Dec 29, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #4 of 12
Would a DAC/amp be included in the budget?

Dec 30, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #5 of 12
No, it wouldn't be included in the $200. I realize it would probably be impossible to get both for that price. I would probably get the DAC/amp at some later point. I've done some more looking, and the Sennheiser HD558 don't look half bad. Any thoughts on those? 

Dec 30, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #6 of 12
I've not heard the HD558.

But having read the description of the sound you wanted, I would also seriously consider the audio technica AD700X. The sound signature, lends itself to acoustic music very well. It has emphasis on the midrange, and treble. It does NOT have a well extended bass though what it has is definitely detailed and 'tight'. Overall it has a airy sound ... or a thin sound depending on which side you fall on. It really depends on the sound you are used to before. Personally, I did not find it overly bright. It has a warmer signature compared to the audio technica wood cups.

It gives a lot of detail. The headphone is very open so it won't provide any isolation from outside noise, as well as leaking the music you're playing. But it also has quite a large 'soundstage' or 'headstage' owing to the open design and angled drivers. It's efficient too.

One thing is that some people do not like the fit of the '3d wing' headband. It can be a little loose and not feel secure on the head, or droop down so that the earcups are resting on the ears when the earpads get too flat from use. But for someone who likes the fit, it is very difficult to find another more comfortable headphone design.

There is another model one step above called the AD900X which is also very well regarded. Also within your budget, but I've not heard it.

Edit: typos

Dec 30, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #8 of 12
  I've not heard the HD558.

But having read the description of the sound you wanted, I would also seriously consider the audio technica AD700X. The sound signature, lends itself to acoustic music very well. It has emphasis on the midrange, and treble. It does NOT have a well extended bass though what it has is definitely detailed and 'tight'. Overall it has a airy sound ... or a thin sound depending on which side you fall on. It really depends on the sound you are used to before. Personally, I did not find it overly bright. It has a warmer signature compared to the audio technica wood cups.

It gives a lot of detail. The headphone is very open so it won't provide any isolation from outside noise, as well as leaking the music you're playing. But it also has quite a large 'soundstage' or 'headstage' owing to the open design and angled drivers. It's efficient too.

One thing is that some people do not like the fit of the '3d wing' headband. It can be a little loose and not feel secure on the head, or droop down so that the earcups are resting on the ears when the earpads get too flat from use. But for someone who likes the fit, it is very difficult to find another more comfortable headphone design.

There is another model one step above called the AD900X which is also very well regarded. Also within your budget, but I've not heard it.

Edit: typos

Thanks for the recommendation. I've heard of the AD700x before, and they seem like they could be a really good option. They're at a great price point too. The airy, spacious sound is what I'm going for, but not particularly thin, if by thin you mean lacking any body. I still want low strings like cellos and double bass to have some decent weight and male vocals to sound natural, and so on and so forth. You get my point. How are they in that regard?

Dec 30, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #9 of 12
  Thanks for the recommendation. I've heard of the AD700x before, and they seem like they could be a really good option. They're at a great price point too. The airy, spacious sound is what I'm going for, but not particularly thin, if by thin you mean lacking any body. I still want low strings like cellos and double bass to have some decent weight and male vocals to sound natural, and so on and so forth. You get my point. How are they in that regard?

It's difficult to judge how you will find it, I don't know what sound you're used to which I think has a lot of influence. Hence my description of one man's airy sound is another's thin. I also find that once you own a pair of headphones, you get used to its sound. So what feels like lacking or having too much bass at first, may after some time seem quite sufficient and normal.

Context in which I used the headphones:

1) Was using a Steel series Siberia V2 prior to it (which I still find decent sounding (!)). I didn't go back to it after I got it, so unfortunately not able to compare fairly.

2) Used the AD700X mostly on the asus xonar essence stx soundcard (approx. 6 months), then switched to the hrt microstreamer (approx. 4 months) for about and then the meier classic (about a week). The 10ohm output impedance of the asus probably wasn't ideal (the other amps have close to 0ohm output impedance), but I did not hear much difference switching.

3) Bought the T1 when I bought the corda classic. It was only after using the T1 only for a few weeks and going back to the AD700X that I noticed it sounded warmer in comparison. Prior to that I had no reference to compare to (nor the inclination to).

Thoughts on sound:

1) I'm an analytical listener, so I prefer transparency and lots of detail.

2) At the time with the AD700X most of my music consisted of classical music on spotify premium. More orchestral works rather than chamber.

3) Tend to listen on low volume. My work and study means that I have my headphones on 4-5 hours a day. Often longer.

4) I'm definitely NOT a basshead and I've read people who have found it lacking bass. They may have a point

5) Personally, I never found it lacking body or fatiguing.

6) The AT headphones I've owned tend to go well with acoustic instruments and female voices. Something to do with its mids and detailed signature. The sound signature is not for everyone. It's not generally considered a 'neutral' phone. It's impossible to describe its sound accurately. However, I used it for all genres, and despite having a sweet spot imo with acoustic and female vocals, I enjoyed them immensely with other genres including rock.

7) I have a preference for the AT sound signature (for the ones I've owned)

*No headphone is perfect
*I've not sold the AD700X. I gave it away to my sister, so though not in my vicinity, it's still in the family.
*May be worth checking this thread too

Dec 30, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #10 of 12

It's difficult to judge how you will find it, I don't know what sound you're used to which I think has a lot of influence. Hence my description of one man's airy sound is another's thin. I also find that once you own a pair of headphones, you get used to its sound. So what feels like lacking or having too much bass at first, may after some time seem quite sufficient and normal.

Context in which I used the headphones:

1) Was using a Steel series Siberia V2 prior to it (which I still find decent sounding (!)). I didn't go back to it after I got it, so unfortunately not able to compare fairly.

2) Used the AD700X mostly on the asus xonar essence stx soundcard (approx. 6 months), then switched to the hrt microstreamer (approx. 4 months) for about and then the meier classic (about a week). The 10ohm output impedance of the asus probably wasn't ideal (the other amps have close to 0ohm output impedance), but I did not hear much difference switching.

3) Bought the T1 when I bought the corda classic. It was only after using the T1 only for a few weeks and going back to the AD700X that I noticed it sounded warmer in comparison. Prior to that I had no reference to compare to (nor the inclination to).

Thoughts on sound:

1) I'm an analytical listener, so I prefer transparency and lots of detail.

2) At the time with the AD700X most of my music consisted of classical music on spotify premium. More orchestral works rather than chamber.

3) Tend to listen on low volume. My work and study means that I have my headphones on 4-5 hours a day. Often longer.

4) I'm definitely NOT a basshead and I've read people who have found it lacking bass. They may have a point

5) Personally, I never found it lacking body or fatiguing.

6) The AT headphones I've owned tend to go well with acoustic instruments and female voices. Something to do with its mids and detailed signature. The sound signature is not for everyone. It's not generally considered a 'neutral' phone. It's impossible to describe its sound accurately. However, I used it for all genres, and despite having a sweet spot imo with acoustic and female vocals, I enjoyed them immensely with other genres including rock.

7) I have a preference for the AT sound signature (for the ones I've owned)

*No headphone is perfect
*I've not sold the AD700X. I gave it away to my sister, so though not in my vicinity, it's still in the family.
*May be worth checking this thread too

Thanks for going into such depth; it was extremely helpful. As far as what I'm used to, it's mostly a blank slate since I'm only just starting out in the world of audio. I have a pair of $50 Steelseries in-ears that I've used for the past year or so (that are actually quite good, especially for the price) which have a decent kick on the low end and are somewhat balanced overall, but I don't exactly do any analytical listening with those. I actually have some ath-m50x coming in the mail tomorrow that will replace the Steelseries as my everyday listeners, so by the time I actually purchase my next pair I'll probably be used to the sound of those. I've heard the signature of the m50x is slightly V-shaped with a strong low end, so I don't think I'll mind it if the AD700x (or AD900x) are more mid and treble focused since I feel like they'll do well with what I want them for judging by your description. If I decide I need more bass, I'll just use the m50x. I think you have me just about sold on the AD700x/900x; I'll just have to do a bit more research on which one better suits my preferences and whether the AD900x is worth another $30 or so. Again, I really appreciate your input.  

Dec 31, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #11 of 12
I've not heard the M50X, so I'm not sure how they will compare with the AD series.
But if you already have a new headphone incoming, why not hold off on the AD700X/900X and have some time with the M50X. With my views on the AD700X's sound in mind, there is still the possibility that you may turn out to prefer the M50X's style of sound presentation. It will also give you a reference point to ask further about the AD series. Someone who's owned the M50/M50X in the AD series thread may then be able to give you a better idea.

By all means research the AD series but there's probably no need to rush - after all they're not cheap products, though it's easy to lose the perspective of value on this site. Best of luck!

Jan 2, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #12 of 12
  I've not heard the M50X, so I'm not sure how they will compare with the AD series.
But if you already have a new headphone incoming, why not hold off on the AD700X/900X and have some time with the M50X. With my views on the AD700X's sound in mind, there is still the possibility that you may turn out to prefer the M50X's style of sound presentation. It will also give you a reference point to ask further about the AD series. Someone who's owned the M50/M50X in the AD series thread may then be able to give you a better idea.

By all means research the AD series but there's probably no need to rush - after all they're not cheap products, though it's easy to lose the perspective of value on this site. Best of luck!

Much appreciated. I was planning on doing just that (spending plenty of time with the M50x before I even consider purchasing anything else). I'll keep eyes and ears peeled and keep researching the site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back