Open headphones that leak sound a little less than typical open phones??? Do they exist?
Aug 13, 2014 at 7:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Greggo

100+ Head-Fier
I can't remember for certain... but I thought I have seen posts where folks comment on some open headphones that for some reason don't seem to leak sound out as much as others.  Does anyone have any thoughts on this?  I am looking for some open headphones to add to my closed headphones at work, in an open environment, and I want to still be able to hear conversations around me to some degree, and when listening at low volumes, know that very little sound is making its way to my co-workers.  I will still normally go to my closed headphones at work, but I want the option for open, and want to know if there are some better candidates in that category compared to their peers.  Any thoughts?

I will be driving them with a MacBook > Dragonfly and considering anything that retails between $100 and $500.  My current favorites at home are HD600, HD700, H6, and Spirit Pro.  Do not care about style or brand or long term value or maintenance (replaceable pads, cables, etc...), just want good sound with minimal fuss, but preferably "really good" sound with minimal fuss.

Aug 13, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #2 of 5
Sennheiser HD558, they already come with tape on the insides of the cups that cover about 40% of the air holes.

Aug 14, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #3 of 5
  Sennheiser HD558, they already come with tape on the insides of the cups that cover about 40% of the air holes.

Thanks for that, I will check them out.

Anyone else have any suggestions?  I guess it is a bit of an odd topic but you never know what else is out there.  If anyone remembers seeing a thread where this came up, any reference would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #4 of 5
I think some Grados might fit that bill as an idea... There are also a few semi-closed cans like the Beyerdynamic DT-990.

Aug 15, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #5 of 5
  I think some Grados might fit that bill as an idea... There are also a few semi-closed cans like the Beyerdynamic DT-990.

Oh Yeah!  I keep forgetting about Grado and I have never actually heard a pair.  It looks like I need to try the Senn HD558 and a couple of Grado's to see if one of them fits the bill.

I will post back if I find any significant difference in sound leakage between these and my other open phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back