Open headphones that keep sound from going out?
May 30, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #16 of 21
  Will these be for walking around, or just something you can take with you? Open headphones aren't the best for walking around, you'll share everything you're listening to with those around you, and you'll really have to turn up to block out environmental noise - furthering the first problem. What sound characteristics are you looking for? M50's have a slight V shape, 598's are a warm, mid-centric phone.

Most of the time I'll be using them at home and it's not really noisy or anything, but every so often I'll need to use them around like 15 other people where it is pretty noisy, so I guess I'm kind of screwed there.
And I don't really know the terms to describe sound characteristics that you're using, but like I said, bass is good and I mainly listen to music like house and electronic in general.

May 30, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #17 of 21

Most of the time I'll be using them at home and it's not really noisy or anything, but every so often I'll need to use them around like 15 other people where it is pretty noisy, so I guess I'm kind of screwed there.

Wait...so why do you need them to be open headphones that let some sound in in the first place? Like I said, if what you need is to be able to hear how loud you're talking, what will happen is you'll get the noise made by like 15 other people which is pretty noisy, and then you can't hear your own voice well enough anyway, plus whatever sound coming from the headphones that you're supposed to be listening to.

May 30, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #18 of 21

Wait...so why do you need them to be open headphones that let some sound in in the first place? Like I said, if what you need is to be able to hear how loud you're talking, what will happen is you'll get the noise made by like 15 other people which is pretty noisy, and then you can't hear your own voice well enough anyway, plus whatever sound coming from the headphones that you're supposed to be listening to.

So that I can use them at home to listen to music and play games. I think you misunderstood, because obviously if they're open it wouldn't be a good idea to use in a noisy environment with a lot of people around me, but I still want to be able to bring them places with me.

May 30, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #19 of 21

So that I can use them at home to listen to music and play games. I think you misunderstood, because obviously if they're open it wouldn't be a good idea to use in a noisy environment with a lot of people around me, but I still want to be able to bring them places with me.

You can listen to music and play games on closed headphones too, and if they fold, you can also bring them places with you.

The differences between most open headphones and better closed headphones in terms of soundstage size aren't big enough to outweigh the advantages of using them in a noisy environment (if and when such is a requirement). Besides, if it will be used for gaming, there will be processing on the soundcard for surround effects, and it's not like an open headphone will be able to accurately place the sound of a grenade pin dropping at a spot twenty feet away from you.

May 31, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #20 of 21
So why can't you use your DT770's as your portable, and then get a dedicated open set for gaming? That sound to me like the best solution, if I'm understanding your desires correctly. Open = best for gaming, closed = best for portable/mobile use. Is your current amp really just not ideal for mobile use with your DT770's? If you want portable, open, with no amp, then Phillips X1's and 598's are probably your only options. Again, I apologize if I'm not actually helping your situation.

May 31, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #21 of 21
  So why can't you use your DT770's as your portable, and then get a dedicated open set for gaming? That sound to me like the best solution, if I'm understanding your desires correctly. Open = best for gaming, closed = best for portable/mobile use. Is your current amp really just not ideal for mobile use with your DT770's? If you want portable, open, with no amp, then Phillips X1's and 598's are probably your only options. Again, I apologize if I'm not actually helping your situation.

Hi, thanks for all of your help, you're right that the amp isn't ideal for mobile use, because I hate having so many cables for it to have good sound quality. Now that I've read Mad Lust Envy's review and others, I've decided that the Phillips Fidelio X1 is a really good choice for home use. So yeah, thanks for all of the help with suggestions and such, I appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back