Open headphones that attenuate outside noise?
Jun 8, 2008 at 11:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Tiemen

Headphoneus Supremus
I know, open cans are not supposed to block noise that surrounds you.
But still, some do better in that aspect than others. Like the older BeyerDynamic DT990.
I would like to know about other open phones who attenuate outside noise.
In the price range of 300 USD or 200 Euro.
And I don't mind leaking sound.

Jun 8, 2008 at 4:26 PM Post #2 of 8
Of the headphones I own, the DT880, Sextett, and Yamaha HP-1 all attenuate somewhat. What are you going to use them for? For me, if I need attenuation, most closed cans don't attenuate enough. Fortunately, I usually only need attenuation for my mass transit commute.

Jun 8, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of the headphones I own, the DT880, Sextett, and Yamaha HP-1 all attenuate somewhat. What are you going to use them for? For me, if I need attenuation, most closed cans don't attenuate enough. Fortunately, I usually only need attenuation for my mass transit commute.

Thanks for the reply.
I'll use them at home. In the room next to mine, my children watch television
or have loud conversations. That's what I want to attenuate as much as possible. So the headphones don't need to block out to the extreme.
I'm still looking for a good closed headphone, but I could also look at open cans that are good at blocking some noise out. I prefer the sound of open phones.

Jun 8, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #4 of 8
Ultrasone proline 2500 (which I own) and hfi 2200 (never tried but the design is similiar) may be a good choice for a open design which attenuates external noise somewhat.

Jun 8, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #5 of 8
I too enjoy open headphones more than closed. With most of my headphones, I can hold a conversation without taking off my headphones. I usually do for politeness, but if someone asks a quick question at work, I'll answer without taking them off.

My home listening area is at my computer in our basement. Sometimes my wife watches TV while I'm listening to music. There's no walls between the TV but it is 33 feet/10 meters from my computer. My wife doesn't listen loud because she's hard of hearing and reads the captions, but I still need some attenuation. I usually use the Yamaha HP-1 or Fostex T40v2. The Fostex is closed but doesn't isolate all that well, which is like most closed headphones IMO.

I assume you don't want total isolation so you can hear if something goes wrong in the next room with the kids.

Jun 8, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I assume you don't want total isolation so you can hear if something goes wrong in the next room with the kids.

They are 11 and 16 years, so there's no need to watch over them. And there's a window in one door.
When they want something, they come to my room.
Actuelly, it is not a room. We have an old house, with a big 'corridor' or 'hall', if these are the correct words (?). It's the place where you enter a house.
In a corner I have my computer and audio gear.
But total isolation is not needed.

Jun 9, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #7 of 8
A corridor or hall is usually long with rooms off of it. The other possible word for it is a foyer which is a small room at the entrance of a house. A lot of times it can be called either although halls are usually about a meter wide.

Jun 9, 2008 at 2:45 AM Post #8 of 8
The DT880s attenuate sound nicely, while still being open headphones, and they sound great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back