Open headphones (max 130$)
Oct 25, 2013 at 11:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Jaddeth

New Head-Fier
Hi,

Im looking for a pair of open over-ear headphones mainly for listening to music, playing games and watching movies and (if needed) an amp/dac(also max 130$)

My gear:
- PC with Sound Blaster X-Fi
- Iriver S100

Music:
Metal, classical, indie rock, pop

What I'm looking for:
-  sound signature simmilar to SRH440 - generally I'd like to avoid buying bass-heavy cans
- wide and deep soundstage
- headphones will be mainly used for classical music and live recordings

I've came across Pioneer SE-A1000, and planned to also  buy Fiio E10/E07k and pair it with these cans.

Are there any other cans suiting my needs in 130$ price tag? If not what other amp/dac would you suggest for A1000?

Thank you :)

Oct 25, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #2 of 5
  Hi,

Im looking for a pair of open over-ear headphones mainly for listening to music, playing games and watching movies and (if needed) an amp/dac(also max 130$)

My gear:
- PC with Sound Blaster X-Fi

Which Creative Labs Sound blaster X-fi is the sound card?

Oct 25, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #4 of 5
The Sennheiser HD558 are on sale right for $129.99 and sound really good.  I listened to them at a Best Buy Magnolia and they had a very nice sound stage with a laid back sound.  They are also incredibly comfortable, moreso than the Shure 440s.  I didn't hear the two pairs back to back but I would characterize them both as not being bass heavy.

I am not too familiar with DACs, but I just picked up an Aune T1 for $127 shipped, it supposedly performs very well and you can customize the sound with different tubes.  I think the T1 and entry level DACs from Shiit are a step above the Fiio offerings.

Oct 25, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #5 of 5
  Well tbh I don't know... but I'd rather focus on Iriver, not the PC, because currently I'm using SRH440 with this sound card and it's enough - I don't expect much 

JVC HA-S500, $60, or JVC HA-S400, $35.
They are both on-ear, closed, folding headphones, I find my JVC HA-S500-Z great headphones to use when not in the house. Should be easy for your Iriver S100 to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back