Open Headphones... (less than $250)...
Jun 19, 2008 at 6:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Leto Atreides II

500+ Head-Fier
I've auditioned the following four open headphones, and have sold or am in the process of selling each one, for varying reasons: AKG K141, AKG K240DF, Ultrasone HFI-2200 ULE, Grado SR-125.

The K141 was simply uncomfortable. It didn't fit on my head properly. So I didn't get much listening done with it.

The K240DF are very comfortable, and sound pretty good. They are just lifeless though. I am comparing them in this respect to my DT-770Pros.

The SR-125s are very comfortable (yeah, I actually think Grados are comfortable), but they are a bit piercing. Tinny sounding, really. Equalization helps a bit, but it seems like I have to modify it from song to song.

The HFI-2200 ULEs were flimsy, and I could tell they weren't going to last long being stretched over my huge head, and just taking into account how I treat headphones in general. The build quality of AKG, Grado, and Sennheiser (at least, the models I've owned) are actually big attractors for this reason. As far as sound goes, I have similar complaints to the 240DFs, even with punchier EQ settings. They also have a bit of shriekiness at high frequencies.

Apparently my ears are very sensitive to high frequencies, and I can hear pretty far into that range. What really baffles me is that a lot of my digital music has been run through a highpass filter, just as part of the encoding process (a lot of old LAME APS stuff), so I don't really know why these sounds would be getting into the headphones in the first place. I will say that the AKGs were the best in this respect, for me.

Since I use the DT770, HD-25 II, or my etymotics for portable use, I'm really open to anything in an open can, including Stax or other electrostatics (even if they do require a separate energiser), as long as they fall in the 200-250 range. I'll mainly be financing this purchase with the funds I get from selling the aforementioned 4 headphones. And I daresay this will be my last headphone purchase for awhile.

I guess what I want is this: good bass (doesn't have to be DT770 bass, but at least reproduce the recording accurately), toned-down high frequency response, 'responsiveness' (ie, doesn't break down during fast paced music), and a reasonable amount of comfort.

From what I've experienced with these four, and read about other open phones on head-fi, I'm leaning towards getting either the DT-880, or HD-580 (remember my price range!). I'm also intrigued by the 595. I've searched all over Portland for places to audition high-end headphones with no luck, so I've basically been using Ebay for this purpose.

If there is no all around 'perfect' open headphone in this price range, I'll just be happy with what I have and bank the proceeds from this round of headphone sales.

I should probably mention my source. I generally use my computer, with a usb->optical convertor, a Zero DAC, and a NAD 3150 Amp (although this may be sold as well, since I don't really see a huge upgrade over just the Zero). I'm actually using Straighwire Symphony II cables between the DAC and the NAD, but they were sort-of a gift. (I'm pretty much a cable atheist.)

Jun 19, 2008 at 7:49 AM Post #2 of 9
I think they have some higher end stuff you can audition at Echo Audio in downtown Portland. They had used stax lambda system for awhile which was the most exotic headphone related item I saw there.

Personally I tried a lot of mid-level headphones and finally decided that I'd purchase the STAX SR-001 system to get a taste of what electrostatic headphones sound like. It took a couple weeks but I decided it was the sound for me. Earlier this year I won a STAX 2050II system on ebay for around $350 and I have no desire to upgrade. I don't even have the greatest source either (just a USB cable DAC) and I think it sounds good.

Jun 19, 2008 at 2:56 PM Post #3 of 9
If you liked the Grado comfort and build but wanted something a little less tinny sounding you might want to consider the Allesandro MS1's. They are less than half your budget. You might also consider the Grado 325i's. They can usually be found in the FS forums for less than $250. I have both of these along with the HD595's. I also used to own the HD580's. IMHO the Grado's and Allesandro's are better sounding than either Sennheiser for music. I traded the HD580's and kept the HD595's for late night movie watching.

Jun 20, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #4 of 9
The Alessandros would be a pretty cheap option to try.

I've actually researched the 325is the last day or so, as well...

And Echo Audio even has a huge photo of the HD650 on their front page... sheesh.

Jun 20, 2008 at 3:18 AM Post #5 of 9
I've actually made more money on ebay than I thought I would recently, and my only rule was to only use ebay proceeds, so I may look into higher end stuff after all.

Jun 20, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnielee54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you liked the Grado comfort and build but wanted something a little less tinny sounding you might want to consider the Allesandro MS1's. They are less than half your budget. You might also consider the Grado 325i's.

Why stop at the MS1? MS2i is reportedly less "sibilant" than the Grado 325i.
I say reportedly, because I have not heard the Grados. I do own the MS2i and they sound like a fon you would like based on what you have described so far. There are plenty of threads and reviews covering the characteristics of the metal Alessandros, they are a dam fine can. They are not sibiliant to my ears, they are fun, energetic, ballanced with plenty of pratt and I find them comfortable. That polished metal and leather construction gives them a aura of "class" as well; refined/retro materpiece.

Jun 20, 2008 at 12:40 PM Post #7 of 9
I used to own a pair of Alessandro MS2 and it hurt my ears. It was just too bright and I found the bass to be lacking. But a lot of people here simply love them (and I am happy to say that I was able to find a good home for them with a fellow Head-Fi member).

Now I own a PX100, which I love for it's bassiness but is a touch too low on the highs and mids. I am considering moving up to a higher model of Sennheiser and see if that gets me where I want.

Good luck Leto.

Jun 20, 2008 at 1:51 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to own a pair of Alessandro MS2 and it hurt my ears. It was just too bright and I found the bass to be lacking. But a lot of people here simply love them (and I am happy to say that I was able to find a good home for them with a fellow Head-Fi member).

Now I own a PX100, which I love for it's bassiness but is a touch too low on the highs and mids. I am considering moving up to a higher model of Sennheiser and see if that gets me where I want.

Good luck Leto.

Was it the MS2 or MS2i? That could make a difference. IMHO, the MS2i is tremendous with flat pads. That is the great thing about Grado's, the are user tuneable to a degree with just pad swaps. Flats bring in a fatter bottom and tame the highs. The Sr325i is a unique can in the Grado lineup. Once mine settled down from burn-in and really enjoyed it. I have owned every current Grado in lineup save the GS1000 and the MS2i with flats is still my fav. I like it better than the RS1/2.

Edit: Hindsind is 20/20.

I should have stopped with my MS2i>HeadFive>Cambridge CDP. LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back