Open Headphones for Work
Jul 19, 2015 at 9:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Lurid

New Head-Fier
I just found a new job doing repair work and i'm looking forward to buying a new pair of headphones to travel with my work station. I need to be able to hear the phone, so i'm leaning towards an open design. My coworkers use speakers so i'm sure it won't be an issue and non-ear bleed levels should be easy enough.

County - USA

Budget - $150 - $250

Source - Sager laptop with X-Fi 3, Galaxy S6 would be a plus but not absolutely required.

Previously Owned - Grado SR80i & Alessandro MS2i

Preferred Style - Open, detachable cables is a plus.

Preferred Genre - Metal, alt, and classic rock primarily

Willing to add an external dac / amp at some point if needed, along the lines of the Schiit Fulla. Currently eyeballing the Grado SR225 / (used) SR325, Sound Magic HP-200, Fidelio X2, and Sennheiser HD598. I've been out of the game for a while so i'd love to hear your thoughts.  I unfortunately do not have any local shops to try before I buy them.

Jul 20, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #2 of 6
The x2 is probably the best can for you tastes, music genres and equipment.  However, it is very difficult to get new within your budget.  Stretch that budget by about $50 and you're in.

The Senn HD 598 (and 558) are very good at delivering that Senn smooth velvet sound.

If you liked your down line Grados, the SR 225e is nearly a lock and most find them to be more comfortable than downline SR models due to their ear pads.  The older SR 325is is brighter than the other SR Grados.  So it might be more risky.  The new 325e is a great can and loses much of brightness issue (for some) compared to the "is".  However, it is over your budget.

Jul 20, 2015 at 5:15 AM Post #3 of 6
My votes goes to Fidelio X2 as well 
smile.gif

Jul 20, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for the input EDMaddict & KG Jag.  I enjoyed the Grados / Alessandros that I owned, but found the metal cups to be a bit heavy for extended sessions.  Comfort / cable length are the biggest issues with the Grado / Allesandro offerings.  I'm leaning towards the X2 or the 598 / 600 after further deliberation, I may have to just order them from Amazon and demo them.  As far as the Schiit Fulla or similar is concerned would the aforementioned options benefit from such a device or IYO should I just get a Schiit Modi 2 / Magni 2 stack for home?

Jul 20, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #6 of 6
I agree that the X2 is probably best headphone out of that list.  You might see if you can snag a cheap one off AWD.  You might also look into the AKG K7xx on Massdrop.com.  You might want some additional amping with this one tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back