Open headphones for treble head?
May 11, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #18 of 34
The AD700 really remind me most of my T70 but with a wider soundstage. So the T90 may be the ticket if the balance is anything like the T70. Meaning leaner on bass and more articulate mids and extended treble. The T70 is a weird creature. It can sound really good with the right type of music/ recording or absolutely piss poor with some material. Quite unforgiving.

Last edited:
May 11, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #19 of 34
The AD700 really remind me most of my T70 but with a wider soundstage. So the T90 may be the ticket if the balance is anything like the T70. Meaning leaner on bass and more articulate mids and extended treble. The T70 is a weird creature. It can sound really good with the right type of music/ recording or absolutely piss poor with some material. Quite unforgiving.

That phrase always tickles me, even though I'm not sure what we mean when we use it (I use it, too)....

The T70 seems to have been s*** on a lot, that's a set of cans that has always intrigued me and I've come close to buying a used pair before.

May 11, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #20 of 34
Headband on K812 feels very different from K7-series.
Leather on K7-series vs soft and cushioned material on K812.

AKG can give you the bright signature along with the ethereal presentation.
But, the treble on AD700 is tuned with some extra enegry around the 8kHz-12kHz region while remaining relatively soft below that frequencies.
That's different from what you'll get on an AKG or HD800 since these are already bright at 5kHz - 6kHz where AD700 is recessed. This gives you a very different presentation.

Tesla T1 is much closer to AD700 in this regard, but it's not an extremely open headphone and it's warm sounding.
So you'll get the treble, but you might or might not prefer the thicker sound.
I own both Tesla T1 (1st Gen) and Tesla T1 (2nd Gen):

T1 (1st Gen): Airier/more open sounding with softer bass and softer treble. More midrange presence.
Te (2nd Gen): More compact and focused. Punchier/thicker in the bass and brighter in the treble region.

May 14, 2018 at 7:03 AM Post #22 of 34
That phrase always tickles me, even though I'm not sure what we mean when we use it (I use it, too)....

The T70 seems to have been s*** on a lot, that's a set of cans that has always intrigued me and I've come close to buying a used pair before.

I like the phrase myself as well. :^) With the right amplification and source material, the T70 really shine. But there seems to be an over present hump in the midrange somewhere. It can cause fatigue pretty quickly without the right synergy.

Last edited:
May 14, 2018 at 7:32 AM Post #23 of 34
I second the k701 suggestion. Simply a treble headphone which has a character all it’s own all these years later. Both pairs I own are early Austrian builds with the bumps, though the bumps have never bothered me. Later China builds started after AKG was acquired by Harmon, and the China builds will make some small creaking sounds when adjusted. The China editions sound exactly the same as early editions though. If you can deal with the crazy one of a kind white color, the AKG 701s are a great purchase on the used market and very low cost. Even the original pads hold up. Early editions had somewhat firmer pads, with later builds with memory foam.

The headphone actually gets slighly more comfortable as they age as the small adjustment cables get loose and add to the fit.

As far as sound goes, there is a upper midrange peak, as well as an over-all treble character due to slight recessions in lower midrange and bass. If anything they are worth a try due to reading your goals.

The single drawback is they are hard as heck to drive. Many who get them need to upgrade to an amp with more juice to take them where they need to go. Though at low volumes weak amps still get a great treble responce.

My review here:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/akg-k701-studio-headphones.11862/reviews

Last edited:
May 14, 2018 at 9:20 AM Post #24 of 34
I like the phrase myself as well. :^)
I always love a little bit of etymology, so I looked it up. Turns out the real history is less interesting than the folk etymology.
Of course, this is completely appropriate talk on Head-Fi because they used to use "piss" as a kind of verbal amplifier. Piss-poor is like poor, only amplified. I think Schiit could really run with this, for souped up versions of their amps. We could have the Piis-Magni. There could be a new Ragnarok, the Piis-Ragnarok, affectionately known as the Schiit Piis-Rag.

And so I'm not completely OT, I still recommend the DT 1990.

May 14, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #26 of 34
5F6B73AB-8C0E-4A77-AB33-9E25EAEE8669.jpeg
I always love a little bit of etymology, so I looked it up. Turns out the real history is less interesting than the folk etymology.
Of course, this is completely appropriate talk on Head-Fi because they used to use "piss" as a kind of verbal amplifier. Piss-poor is like poor, only amplified. I think Schiit could really run with this, for souped up versions of their amps. We could have the Piis-Magni. There could be a new Ragnarok, the Piis-Ragnarok, affectionately known as the Schiit Piis-Rag.

And so I'm not completely OT, I still recommend the DT 1990.

May 14, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #28 of 34
Ever since upgrading from my ath-ad700 (owned for 8 Years) I have always found music a little less exciting and almost like it was veiled.

I have tried various different headphones akg k712, ath-r70x, ath-ad2000x and even hd800.

I actually didn't spend enough time with hd800 and so cant say for sure if it satisfied my treble needs.

Now I only own the ath-ad2000x, but lately I tried playing with equilizer and found that music i listen to sound best when i boost the treble, and I am am talking about fairly large amounts of boost in treble. Suddenly music sounds so much alive to me and the veil is gone.

I don't really like the idea of having to rely on equalizing, as I think it means I probably need another headphones. I want open over-the-ear headphones something bright, airy, trebly with decent mids. Would be better if they have good soundstage too.

I listen to classical, Asian pop and music with alot of vocals especially female.

I have been considering the beyer T90s or T1, as many say they are piercingly bright which intrigues me lol. I have also read that Grados supposedly are very bright too.

So what headphones would you recommend?

If I where you, I'd get a hearing test done. Ask if they do high frequencies beforehand.

Not meant as a joke or such. Dead serious. If boosting treble that much makes it sound normal, I would start to wonder why. Maybe you have damaged your hearing already.

May 14, 2018 at 9:04 PM Post #30 of 34
If I where you, I'd get a hearing test done. Ask if they do high frequencies beforehand.

Not meant as a joke or such. Dead serious. If boosting treble that much makes it sound normal, I would start to wonder why. Maybe you have damaged your hearing already.

I should mention, I do actually have hearing loss particularly in my left ear since birth and still try to enjoy my music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back