Open headphones for treble head?
May 10, 2018 at 5:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Bruc3

100+ Head-Fier
Ever since upgrading from my ath-ad700 (owned for 8 Years) I have always found music a little less exciting and almost like it was veiled.

I have tried various different headphones akg k712, ath-r70x, ath-ad2000x and even hd800.

I actually didn't spend enough time with hd800 and so cant say for sure if it satisfied my treble needs.

Now I only own the ath-ad2000x, but lately I tried playing with equilizer and found that music i listen to sound best when i boost the treble, and I am am talking about fairly large amounts of boost in treble. Suddenly music sounds so much alive to me and the veil is gone.

I don't really like the idea of having to rely on equalizing, as I think it means I probably need another headphones. I want open over-the-ear headphones something bright, airy, trebly with decent mids. Would be better if they have good soundstage too.

I listen to classical, Asian pop and music with alot of vocals especially female.

I have been considering the beyer T90s or T1, as many say they are piercingly bright which intrigues me lol. I have also read that Grados supposedly are very bright too.

So what headphones would you recommend?

Last edited:
May 10, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #2 of 34
Try the Grado SR-325. Straight out of my Oppo-105 I found them too bright and thought I made a mistake buying them. However, out of the computer and into the Oppo-HA2 I find them magical.

Last edited:
May 10, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #7 of 34
Might want to check out the DT 1990. Very sparkly highs, but never piercing or painful, mids are just slightly (very slightly) behind the rest of the presentation, and the bass reaches deep.

May 10, 2018 at 11:54 PM Post #8 of 34
Keep in mind that you're not like most other people. You'll find that people normally complain about K712 having too much treble and you say it's not enough for you.
So take comments with a grain of salt here since some people might suggest headphones that are typically considered bright but might not be bright enough for you.
With that in mind you should consider:

AKG K701
Make sure to pick a late one with bumpless headband and recent harder box that's transparent on the front.
This headphone is light but extended in the bass, forward in the mids and lively in the treble region. Soundstage is very big and ethereal.
(Skip K702 as it's warmer and two steps closer to the even warmer K712. I've owned the three of them)

AKG K812
Punchier than K701 and not as light in terms of tonality. Treble is similarly present and extended.

Tesla T1 (2nd Generation)
Warmer and less forward than the AKGs with less lower treble and more higher treble. Different type of trebly presentation.

May 11, 2018 at 2:14 AM Post #9 of 34
With that in mind you should consider:

Tesla T1 (2nd Generation)
Warmer and less forward than the AKGs with less lower treble and more higher treble. Different type of trebly presentation.

I have crossed AKG off my list (previously used the K712) as for some reason the top of my head gets really painful with their headband system and I cannot wear it for more than 10 mins.

Yes I am strongly considering to get the T1, actually I think there is a store I can go try it out which I may do when I get time.

From my research, T1 is the most appealing one to me. Thanks.

Last edited:
May 11, 2018 at 2:19 AM Post #10 of 34
Good luck! Nothing sounds like the ATH-AD700. Especially for the money. DT990 doesn't have the clarity in the mids or size of soundstage of the AD700. It sounds way more congested. But the DT880 sounds closer to it just not as big or wide a soundstage and slightly more bass. I've heard several testimonies from AD700 users that to get better soundstage they had to move all the way up to the Senn HD800. I guess that's what made the AD700 so popular among competitive gamers. Pinpoint imaging for hearing footsteps of the enemy. I currently own the AD700 and though the fit and low end fun leaves a bit to be desired, I would tend to agree on the soundstage. It's very good in that respect. But again.. a terribly goofy fit and look which kills it for me.

Last edited:
May 11, 2018 at 4:01 AM Post #11 of 34
Good luck! Nothing sounds like the ATH-AD700. But again.. a terribly goofy fit and look which kills it for me.

Yes I actually regret selling it, as I can no longer buy it new.

I agree it looks goofy but actually loved the fit and comfort. It was the most confortable headphone I ever tried.

Best bang for buck headphone ever.

May 11, 2018 at 7:00 AM Post #12 of 34
As another treble-head I was pretty disappointed with Grado. I got the 325e and swapped the L-cushions for G-cushions. To me, they had less treble energy than my HE-400i have.

May 11, 2018 at 7:02 AM Post #13 of 34
Maybe Philips SHP9500?

May 11, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #14 of 34
As another treble-head I was pretty disappointed with Grado. I got the 325e and swapped the L-cushions for G-cushions. To me, they had less treble energy than my HE-400i have.

The best variant of the SR325 for treble is the gold, anniversary SR325i, which is too bright for many and why most prefer the 325is which followed the 325i, or the newest version, the 325e.

May 11, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #15 of 34
On the budget front -- way cheaper than your AD2000X for sure! -- have you tried the Superlux HD668B?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back