Open Headphones for Head-Direct EF1
Jan 10, 2009 at 4:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

kojebee

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for open headphones to use with the Head-Direct EF1 amp.

My budget is around the $350 / $400 mark. Not anymore than that as my Kenwood KH K1000 suit my closed needs and get a lot of usage. Just fancy an open can to listen to in the bedroom.

I listen to a lot of electronica (downtempo/trance/ambient/chill out/Old Skool etc) and some rock (Pink Floyd / U2), jazz (modern Jazz), classical.

The cans must be airy, reasonably detailed (less than Stax not a problem, but detail required nevertheless), and have more bass impact than Stax SRS-2050A. Cans slightly less bright than the Stax would be nice too. The Stax SRS-2050A were brighter than the Stax SR-84, perhaps too bright for me.

Any suggestions?

Audio Technica? BeyerDynamics? Sony?

Jan 10, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #2 of 4
Add the HD600 to your short list. It'll have a fair amount of detail for a open dynamic, and will not be bright but not be very rolled off in the high frequencies. They will do great for classical, jazz, and although some may not think so, I really like the sennheiser presentation for techno/chill/electronic, etc.

If you want a more colorful sound (less neutral) also add the HD650 to your short list.

Jan 10, 2009 at 7:30 AM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the suggestions.

Aren't there different DT880 versions? Is one preferred for electronica over another?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back