Open Headphones for female J-Pop J-Rock vocalist Under $250
Oct 29, 2013 at 5:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

JujuShinobi

New Head-Fier
I'm relatively new to the audiophile business so I do not know much of the terms. I currently own a pair of HD 439s and Fiio Andes and am not satisfied with the 439's performance with female vocals. I find it a tad bit too piercing when they hit the highs and the differentiation in sound is a little to be desired for either.

As of now I heard that the Audio Technica AD900X would be a good buy as well as the Sony MA500s but I would like to know if there are any other headphones that might suit me. Preferably something with a tight, punchy bass. If case some of you would like a reference, I listen to fripSide, LiSA and Mami Kawada mainly. Thanks in advance!

Oct 29, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #3 of 5

Lol, you'd be extremely lucky to find an X1 used at that price.

To help, maybe the L1 is the best cheapest option, I think they are now $150 used and need minimal ampage or used $320 X1. I've seen the L1 spec and its only 105 db/mW sensitivity, so only needs 1.5mW to reach a loud enough volume, so even an E7 is more than enough as its output power is 16mW to 300ohm, so might be a better cheaper option if you don't intend to buy another amp.

Though the better for vocals would be as you said is the MA900, even better it doesn't even need an amp. Never heard of a MA500, though I think you made a typo. So pair it with a JDS Labs cmoy amp with bass boost, as the MA900 doesn't really have the hard hitting bass that you want, it has just a good amount of bass and is rather warm and even though I've never used the E7, have heard it's bassboost is a bit iffy.

Or even better, buy a BSG cmoy which sounds a tad better than the JDS labs cmoy for $50... reviews are on its ebay page, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Biosciencegeek-Headphone-Amplifier-cMOY-Premium-Amp-/130683326224. that and the MA900 comes to $250 exactly, minus shipping. Good luck.

Oct 29, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #4 of 5
http://www.amazon.de/Philips-HiFi-Stereokopfh%C3%B6rer-hochwertigem-Neodym-Treiber-schwarz-braun-silber/dp/B008ZW2T7M/ref=sr_1_1?s=ce-de&ie=UTF8&qid=1383082009&sr=1-1&keywords=philips+x1

Oct 30, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #5 of 5
  Lol, you'd be extremely lucky to find an X1 used at that price.

To help, maybe the L1 is the best cheapest option, I think they are now $150 used and need minimal ampage or used $320 X1. I've seen the L1 spec and its only 105 db/mW sensitivity, so only needs 1.5mW to reach a loud enough volume, so even an E7 is more than enough as its output power is 16mW to 300ohm, so might be a better cheaper option if you don't intend to buy another amp.

Though the better for vocals would be as you said is the MA900, even better it doesn't even need an amp. Never heard of a MA500, though I think you made a typo. So pair it with a JDS Labs cmoy amp with bass boost, as the MA900 doesn't really have the hard hitting bass that you want, it has just a good amount of bass and is rather warm and even though I've never used the E7, have heard it's bassboost is a bit iffy.

Or even better, buy a BSG cmoy which sounds a tad better than the JDS labs cmoy for $50... reviews are on its ebay page, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Biosciencegeek-Headphone-Amplifier-cMOY-Premium-Amp-/130683326224. that and the MA900 comes to $250 exactly, minus shipping. Good luck.

I think I will skip on the amp but the only reason I am reluctant on the MA900s is because I saw reviews saying the treble was a bit too polite. But now that I think of it, I can always adjust the equalizer on my Fiio Andes. Another thing was the look and build quality; it's questionable.

Yeah and the Phillips X1 are way out of my budget

Users who are viewing this thread

Back