Open Headphones for EDM?
Jul 8, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #3 of 14
If you are looking for open back headphones with powerful bass you should also consider Yamaha HPH 200.

Best Luck!

Jul 8, 2014 at 1:54 AM Post #5 of 14
Do you want powerful bass? What headphones are you currently using? There is no perfect headphone for EDM. The right pick depends on your preferences. If you give us some more information of what kind of sound are looking for, you'll get more useful replies.

Jul 8, 2014 at 3:17 AM Post #7 of 14
neither of those cans have bass that can play edm in a really enjoyable way imo. Unless you intend to find bass neutral cans, then you're on the right track. However, people will almost always recommend a bass heavy headphone if you say it's for edm, hence my philips x1 suggestion.

edit: i looked at your other thread. You really should've mentioned that you were gonna record with them since then i wouldn't have stressed on recommending the x1. Also, if by you mean recording with a mic, then you should get closed headphones since the mic will pick pick the noise coming from the phones. If you meant mixing, then it should be fine.

as for which one to get, it's really up to you. For mixing, the more neutral, the better, so i'd go for the shure's.

Jul 8, 2014 at 4:14 AM Post #8 of 14
neither of those cans have bass that can play edm in a really enjoyable way imo. Unless you intend to find bass neutral cans, then you're on the right track. However, people will almost always recommend a bass heavy headphone if you say it's for edm, hence my philips x1 suggestion.

edit: i looked at your other thread. You really should've mentioned that you were gonna record with them since then i wouldn't have stressed on recommending the x1. Also, if by you mean recording with a mic, then you should get closed headphones since the mic will pick pick the noise coming from the phones. If you meant mixing, then it should be fine.

as for which one to get, it's really up to you. For mixing, the more neutral, the better, so i'd go for the shure's.

Right, yea, for mixing, sorry. That's why the Shures looked far more appealing. But the akg would probably end up being a little more fun to listen to. Tough choice really, I may end up trying both and keeping one. Whichever I find the best deal for first I guess.

Jul 8, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #9 of 14
What about the Beyer DT990? I have it and the bass is very powerful which is suitable for EDM. 

Jul 8, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #10 of 14
AKG k 701 with the right amp.:wink:

Jul 8, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #12 of 14

Yep. According to that chart, the K712s would be a around +/- 3db at ~ 30hz. That would be a good bass response for a decent set of floorstanding/tower speakers with low bass extension. And that's pretty good bass response for EDM *if* one is not a basshead. You'd hear the bass more as the artists/audio engineer intended, which could be very good since you are getting into mixing. The 1840s would not give you an accurate feel for what the original recording is like. And a little EQ for the 712s could always add in some a few db.

Jul 8, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #13 of 14
Beyerdynamic DT880 250 Ohm are still a very good choice if you want something in the middle between K712 and SRH1840 in terms of bass response.

Best Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back