Open Headphones for Desktop Use
Feb 10, 2015 at 6:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Zoomer13

Head-Fier
Hey all, 
Just poking around for a few suggestions for potentially open headphones for desktop use that would be a step up from 
my hastily modded T50rps I've had for a few years. The internals are a bit messy, but still enjoy how they sound, they're
very smooth and with the lamb leather pads are very comfortable. 

I guess what I'm looking for, really, is something more comfortable than the SR225e, as well as less fatiguing, but still
have a lot of detail retrieval and separation? Just don't like how much the treble seems to overtake everything else.
I'll probably still keep the grados, for some songs they are fantastic, just so very uncomfortable.... 

Currently considering the Fidelio X2, which seem to be pretty well hyped even compared to the HD600/650, or something like the hifiman He-400. 

The chain I have right now is optical out from the Titanium HD to the Modi/Magni 2 Uber stack, as I also use this setup for gaming. 

I would probably be looking into the actual purchase within a month or so, with the goal of about a $300 budget. 

Some listening examples: Decemberists, Modest Mouse, Radiohead, Beck, Coldplay, The National, Airborne Toxic Event, Royal Blood, Cake....
Kind of a mixed bag I suppose. 

Feb 10, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #3 of 3
Replying on a quick break at work via phone, but checking out the page on amazon those seem pretty nice, especially at their current price....may look further into the HP200, as it might fit the bill for open, detailed and comfortable cans. Will research more in a bit once I'm home.

Edit: From what I can tell, there aren't a lot of direct comparisons between the X2 and HP200, but the HP200 seems to have less recessed mids and less chance of imbalance? Plus for the price it's less of a chance. Still curious about the X2, but the HP200 seems the way to go for the time being. Thanks for the suggestion, as I hadn't really given much thought to other brands.

Still may pick up higher end planars later though :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back