Open headphones for around ~200-250 euros
Dec 6, 2013 at 2:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Christo4

100+ Head-Fier
Hello guys, i just want some advices on a pair of open headphones in the 200-250 euro range.
I've been thinking about the DT 990 or the Senn HD 598 (since the HD 600 are a bit over my budget).
What other headphones would you recommend?
Also, which has the least sibilance?
Thank you for your answers.

Dec 8, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #2 of 13
What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

Additional recommendations will depend in large part on how you answer those two questions.

What one hears as objectionable sibilance will vary from person to person.  Between the two cans you mentioned the DT 990 has a bit of "V" shaped EQ, which makes to more likely to have a sibilance issue with more people.  The Senn has slightly less than neutral treble and for most is not a problem.

Dec 8, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #3 of 13
try and look for a used HD580. Its the same as the HD600 as far as i know.

Dec 9, 2013 at 3:12 AM Post #5 of 13
Well i am looking for something warm and without sibilance that is comfortable.
I have an USB soundcard that has an amp, but it has a lot of static especially on the high setting, but on the medium one it's pretty good.

Dec 9, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #6 of 13
  Well i am looking for something warm and without sibilance that is comfortable.
I have an USB soundcard that has an amp, but it has a lot of static especially on the high setting, but on the medium one it's pretty good.

I start by getting that USB soundcard repaired of replace.  Your new cans can't sound any better than the quality of the signal to them.

With a proper amp, the HD 650 seems perfect for what you want--except they cost too much if bought new.  See:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_HD650

Maybe you can find a used pair that falls within your budget.  Failing that perhaps someone else knows of new can with a similar sound signature that can be had within your budget.

Dec 9, 2013 at 4:10 AM Post #7 of 13

I start by getting that USB soundcard repaired of replace.  Your new cans can't sound any better than the quality of the signal to them.

With a proper amp, the HD 650 seems perfect for what you want--except they cost too much if bought new.  See:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_HD650

Maybe you can find a used pair that falls within your budget.  Failing that perhaps someone else knows of new can with a similar sound signature that can be had within your budget.

Well it's not a lot of static, only on the highest amp setting it is noticeable (ofc this depends on the headphones as well) and it did it out of the box so i don;t think it's damaged.
thanks for the topic link, will take a peek.

Dec 9, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #10 of 13
Could always look at AKG. Some of them might be too bright for you though.
K612 pro, K701/K702, Q701 are worth looking at

Dec 10, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #12 of 13

hmm are the K612 any good? they seem interesting and fit into my price range

I'm planning on buying some soon. There aren't many reviews out there, but the few i've read seem positive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back