Open Headphones (<$300) with FiiO E10
Oct 18, 2015 at 6:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

sgt deacon

New Head-Fier
I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 380 Pro's (closed) that I have enjoyed over the past 3 years, one of the reasons I got them was they were closed and provided a bit of isolation from background noises. Now that my living situation has changed I'm looking to buy open headphones to experience the larger soundscape. I have a FiiO E10 and would like to keep using it, however if there is a significantly better DAC/AMP for a reasonable price I would consider it (for example if I could get a $150 DAC/AMP and $150 headphones that would sound better than $300 headphones). 

I listen to a wide variety of music including rock, light rock, metal, classical, and ska punk. I will also be playing video games with them.

I have found some headphones that I have been looking at, but at this point would like some guidance. My price range is less than or equal to $300, but it does have some wiggle room (if there was a headphone A at $300 and headphone B at $310 and B was significantly better I would go with headphone B)

I've been looking at:

Beyerdynamic DT-880 Pro 250 Ohm (Could an E10 drive these?)
Audio Technica ATH-AD900x
Sennheiser HD 598
Shure SRH1440

I'm also considering the Sennheiser HD 600, but I would have to be convinced it provides significantly better performance than any of the other headphones listed as it is on the upper end of what I would be willing to spend. I am also open to suggestions for headphones not listed, that was just a list I made while looking for a bit earlier.

I also have been looking at the AKG k7xx from Massdrop, but today is the last day to buy it for a while, so unless it is clearly the best option for what I am looking for I will end waiting past it being for sale.

Some other features I would like but are not required:
Replaceable cable
Braided Cable
Replaceable ear Pads

Thanks for the help!

Oct 22, 2015 at 5:03 AM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for the advice, but at this point I'm not terribly interested in buying used headphones. Based on some reviews I am readying I think I am going to grab the Philips Fidelio X2 tomorrow.

Oct 22, 2015 at 5:38 AM Post #5 of 6
  Thanks for the advice, but at this point I'm not terribly interested in buying used headphones. Based on some reviews I am readying I think I am going to grab the Philips Fidelio X2 tomorrow.

The Fidelio X1 and X2 combine a warm/fun sound signature with open soundstage. Sounds great, but these are ultimately not the most refined headphones especially in the treble.

The Sennheiser HD600/650 have a more intimate sound than the Fidelios, still open, but not as airy, still warm, still fun but tighter, definitely more refined across the board.

DT880 are colder and more analytical, great headphones in my experience, but there's kind of a learning curve with them. It takes some time to get used to the more neutral response and it may rule out some of your favourite recordings because it's not really forgiving. Soundstage is not huge but it's really airy, much more than HD600/650.

K7XX are a good deal if you want big open soundstage and you are not willing to trade refinement.

Fiio E10 will drive them all just fine, not best, but still fine, especially if you listen to music at moderate/healthy levels. Pick the best headphones according to your preferences, then and only then start thinking about upgrading your DAC/Amp.

Happy Listening!

Oct 23, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #6 of 6
  The Fidelio X1 and X2 combine a warm/fun sound signature with open soundstage. Sounds great, but these are ultimately not the most refined headphones especially in the treble.

The Sennheiser HD600/650 have a more intimate sound than the Fidelios, still open, but not as airy, still warm, still fun but tighter, definitely more refined across the board.

DT880 are colder and more analytical, great headphones in my experience, but there's kind of a learning curve with them. It takes some time to get used to the more neutral response and it may rule out some of your favourite recordings because it's not really forgiving. Soundstage is not huge but it's really airy, much more than HD600/650.

K7XX are a good deal if you want big open soundstage and you are not willing to trade refinement.

Fiio E10 will drive them all just fine, not best, but still fine, especially if you listen to music at moderate/healthy levels. Pick the best headphones according to your preferences, then and only then start thinking about upgrading your DAC/Amp.

Happy Listening!

Thanks for the information, I don't need a deeply analytical headphone for my purposes and like the idea of a more 'fun' headphone so I'm going to stick with the X2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back