Open headphone to compliment my collection?
Feb 22, 2012 at 8:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

shamrock134

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey, 

I'm looking for an open headphone to add to my collection with a signature that will compliment the LCD-2r1, D7000 and Edition 8. I'm a bit of a basshead and have always gravitated towards closed headphones so I'd like a can that displays the advantages of open headphones without being too bass anemic. I know the LCD-2 is open, but it doesn't sound that open to me. Previously, I've owned the HD600 (found it a bit boring and not exactly spacious sounding) and the HD598 (I quite liked these but would like something a tier higher).

I listen to a variety of music, but also a lot of electronic, Muse and Radiohead. Budget is fairly open (I can always save up) and they will be powered either by the Schiit Lyr or Audio-GD FUN (don't really want to buy any more amps but am considering the Bifrost DAC soon).

Thoughts on cans I've looked at so far:

HD800 - would probably have far too little bass for my taste
Beyer T1 - most interested in this, but worried after reading purrin's thread on these
Q701 - supposedly less bass anemic than the K701
DT990/600 - reasonable quantity of impactful bass is appealing, ear bleeding highs and very recessed mids are not

Anything else worth considering? 

Cheers!

Feb 22, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #4 of 17
Maybe try the HE-500?

Feb 22, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #6 of 17
Heya,

Beyer T1 for sure. Sparkle, Bass, Sound Stage. Big price too. But it seems like the logical route for you.

The Q701 will be shy on bass compared to what you're used to, very shy compared to what you're used to. The DT990 will have all the bass you're after, and sparkly treble. It will have a sound stage that you're not used to at all, so it will give you a different experience that is quite different for sure. It's a good headphone. But judging from what you're coming from, I can only think, you may just end up wanting something else.

I think the HD800 or T1 will really fit your bill. Sounds to me like you're wanting a touch of sparkle, a huge sound stage to contrast what you're used to, some airiness, and bass capability.

The HE500 and LCD2 are very similar indeed. The HE500 has more sparkle to it, and the LCD2 might have just a hair more bass presence. I liked the HE500 better myself. But sound stage on any planar is not going to rival that of a really expanded dynamic (like HD800, Q701, T1, etc).

Very best,

Feb 22, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #7 of 17
Thanks Mal, could you elaborate on that a bit? I always like reading your posts.

Oh, and I think you should apologise to my wallet for that recommendation.
biggrin.gif

Feb 23, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #10 of 17
T1. good enough bass to keep you satisfied while having all the nice qualities of a detailed open can.

the DT 990 is inferior to the other headphones and  i don't think you will get much of a difference since it sometimes also has that closed sound to it.

the T1 is the most different and has a good amount of bass to it as well.

Mar 2, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #12 of 17
Have you ever considered grado's high-end line?

Mar 2, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #13 of 17
I've not really considered them or read about them at all actually. I've never heard a Grado before and I've probably been put off by the usual "only good for rock",  "brighter than the sun" sort of comments usually associated with them.

Which models specifically?

Mar 2, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #14 of 17
The high-end grados (gs1000i, ps1000) don't sound at all like the "classic" grados. Proof is that I've never liked any of the rs1s rs2s I've heard where I'm fond of the ps1000 and of the gs1000i.

As you are a basshead the gs1000i may not be for you. but the ps1000 is pretty awesome on the lower register (lower midrange included) It has plenty of definition and "oomph" in the bass.

As I said above the high-end models aren't like the other models, they're not bright and they do not crave for air in the soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back