Open Headphone + Rain = ???
Sep 29, 2009 at 2:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

PanzerIV

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I have a very quick question. I've rode over 4000km on bike in the last 3 years with my (Sennheiser HD555) and I know light rain doesn't matter but now I have the (AKG K702) which are still open headphone and since it's brand new and more expensive I was really wondering if massive rain while being outside with headphone could damage anything or if it doesn't do any harm.

Let me know as soon as possible please. There's gonna be rain for almost the whole week and I need to ride around town soon.

Sep 29, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by winwin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think it's a good idea to use headphones in the rain. If yours get wet, that'll be a problem.

Well, what you think it will do exactly?

Sep 29, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #4 of 23
I second that... I wouldn't risk it... excessive moisture could really damage them and as we all know, mother nature doesn't give many warnings...

Sep 29, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #5 of 23
"Oops, they fell off my head and tumbled around on the pavement."

That'd be one concern.

"Oh bugger, rain's getting inside, where electrons are flying around."

That'd be the other one.

"I have huge expensive headphones on, while riding a bike."

A third.

"Honk if you're about to run me over."
Boop.

Personally, if you're going to use headphones while biking, I'd use cheap buds (I've never found a pair that fit), or some cheap clip-ons (ie. KSC75).

Sep 29, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #6 of 23
I don't think the k701 is that portable. And moisture and electronics just don't mix, for 1, if your driver gets wet, it would not function the way it did before or another thing would be it could short circuit something inside.

Sep 29, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by winwin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think the k701 is that portable. And moisture and electronics just don't mix, for 1, if your driver gets wet, it would not function the way it did before or another thing would be it could short circuit something inside.

Oh ok cause if it would had only been (slighty less good sound while a wet) then I wouldn't have cared but any permanent damage I do care a lot ^^

Sep 29, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #8 of 23
Not only can water seriously damage the electronic components of your headphones (or your DAP for that matter), it is also very likely to have a significant impact on the speaker cones. Very bad idea to ride in the rain with headphones on.

Sep 29, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #10 of 23
Cool thanks for the information, not I know for sure that it isn't good so I'll go outside with it and have a sealed bag on my pockets so if it start raining I remove them from my head and put it in the zip-lock bag to protect from water. Sounds like a good idea
normal_smile .gif

Sep 29, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #11 of 23
Try submerging them under water in your sink (or wear them while under water in the community pool) and then let us know the results.

Sep 29, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try submerging them under water in your sink (or wear them while under water in the community pool) and then let us know the results.

Hahahha, well there's a huge difference between "rain, heavy rain and submerged"
tongue_smile.gif
though I wouldn't mind trying if it was cheap 30$ headphones.

Sep 29, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #13 of 23
You would prolly cry if they get damage in the rain, so i suggest you don't do it unless you have a money tree growing in the backyard. That you can run out to and pick cash to get them replaced.

Sep 29, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #14 of 23
Not trying to sound rude, but why are you so insistent on using the K702s on your bike? They're big, they're ~$250+, they could easily be damaged, etc.
I would really recommend just using the HD555s or get a cheaper set of 'phones for use on the bike.

Be careful with them!
biggrin.gif

Sep 29, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by squid+ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not trying to sound rude, but why are you so insistent on using the K702s on your bike? They're big, they're ~$250+, they could easily be damaged, etc. I would really recommend just using the HD555s or get a cheaper set of 'phones for use on the bike.

I sold the HD555 85$ shipped few weeks ago to buy these new headphones and use it with my portable amp (PA2V2). I hate cheap quality, I want very good sound everywhere I go not just at home on my computer. I never had any problems on my previous headphone within 3 years. Wind can't damage headphone and it just can't fall off my head out of nowhere. People tend to get paranoid like if it was so dangerous to go outside. I really really hate any kind of earbuds and even more those that goes even deeper in the ear. They're big yes but that's not a big deal to me and I've got use to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back