Open Frame Power Supplies
Jul 27, 2005 at 8:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

saab

500+ Head-Fier
I have heard these mentioned around here a bit and I am wondering about one for the Millet Hybrid. I would like to find one around 28volts, as I have heard this sounds better.

I found one here, located near the bottom, part number (PS) IHB28-1.
ps-ihb28-1.jpg

Is this a useable one? If not, could someone point me in the right direction? I have looked on eBay, but can't find what I think I am looking for.

-John

Jul 27, 2005 at 9:05 PM Post #2 of 14
That will work just fine, but will run a little warmer than a STEPS, so pay attention to your ventilation.

I'm using almost that exact model in an m³, and it sounds fine. You will also be fine at 28v on the Millett, as thats what I run mine at.

And here's a thread about mounting.

Jul 27, 2005 at 10:41 PM Post #3 of 14
You can do the same or better for less money on Ebay. I picked up a 24V/28V 6.25A/5.4A power supply on Ebay for $20 shipped. I just bought another 12V power supply for my modded T-Amp and it was only $19 shipped.

So search for '24VDC power supply' on ebay and you'll find what you're looking for. I'll do a quick search and post what I find.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ory=13718&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ory=11772&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...Name=WDVW&rd=1

The first one looks good. The second one is pretty similar to what you were looking at, and not that great a deal for used hardware. The 24V PS I have is similar to the first one, and it's quite good.

Jul 28, 2005 at 12:51 AM Post #4 of 14
For amps with low PSRR (Millett is an example) I would suggest avoiding that supply. I have tested one and its output has significant ripple (AC fundamental and its harmonics).

Jul 28, 2005 at 1:20 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Switcher.... avoid it.

Quote:

That has way to much current capacity for a headphone amp.
Not only that but I would think they could at least remove it from the trash bin before they took a picture of it.

Quote:

It's best of the three but $12 shipping and 5 days left?
No thanks.
wink.gif

Jul 28, 2005 at 1:43 AM Post #6 of 14
Switching power supplies aren't universally bad, especially for someone who can't afford a STEPS. I suppose it would be worth finding out what sort of ripple each power supply produces, but that's a bit unfeasible considering the number of manufacturers. And too much current is never a bad thing. So what if it's grossly overpowered for the purpose, it doesn't hurt anything. I'm also not sure how you came to the conclusion that the PowerOne supplies are the best of the bunch.

Jul 28, 2005 at 3:24 AM Post #8 of 14
Linear...

Jul 28, 2005 at 10:35 AM Post #9 of 14
I used a similar open-frame linear +28v PSU with my Millett and it wourked great. It was $8 in an ebay store, with $5 shipping. I want to say it was a Power-One, but it might have been a Sola Hevi-Duty. Rated something crazy like 2.25A, not that that is an issue. Sounded a whole lot better than the wall-wart, and running the amp at 28v with a tube bias around 18.5v was pretty sweet. Your mileage will of course vary, as amp component selection and soforth does as well, but it seems it is generally regarded as doing best with 26-28v and a higher bias. I used Tung-Sol tubes, FWIW.

Jul 28, 2005 at 11:35 AM Post #10 of 14
I got a superb 24V calex open frame linear PSU (adjustable from 22V - 29V) and It's a superb PSU indeed. I housed it in a Blue hammond enclosure and It's never given me any bother at all (touchwood) I believe they are now called Convel but, trust me, they are superb quality PSU's

2.jpg

Jul 28, 2005 at 1:11 PM Post #11 of 14
Thanks for the information. You don't per chance have link to the ebay store you got the unit from, do you Voodoochile? Any other suggestions or info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.
-John

edit: what do you think of this one? I know it is not open frame, but could I use it? is it any good?

Jul 29, 2005 at 11:15 AM Post #13 of 14
I don't have that info, Saab... it was quite a while ago. I DO have a couple different Acopian linear PSUs on hand though, and they do measure very nice and quiet... although they are a little large as compared to the more traditional open frame PSU type.

[size=xx-small]ps: nice username (I'm on my second saab and am a fan)[/size]

Aug 2, 2005 at 7:26 PM Post #14 of 14
Well, I just one this auction, now I just have to hook everything up when they get here.

By the way, this means I have an extra if anyone needs one.

Thanks for all of your advice
-John

ps I may need some assistance in knowing how this is done, but I will let you know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back