Open, Closed....or Both?
Nov 27, 2005 at 7:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

BenA

New Head-Fier
I'm currently the owner of some SR60s, which I love, and which spend most of their life plugged into one of my Apple computers, or into my iPod. I've just ordered a Z-audio mu amp. And I'm contemplating a headphone upgrade (I'm looking to spend about $200).

My first thought was to look at closed cans. But the more I looked, the more I felt that you just get more bang for the buck with open. Much of my listening is done on my commute to and from work. But I commute on foot, through a fairly quiet community, so there's really no need for isolation, nor are there concerns about sound leaking. This has led me to lean pretty heavily toward buying the DT880s, which seem like a really good bargain and a nice upgrade from the SR60s.

But there's one situation in which I'd really like closed headphones. About two or three times a year I take plane trips. And though I've been merrily using my Grados for a couple of years, I realize that this is pretty obnoxious, as they leak something fierce. Since I go on so few plane trips, and otherwise don't particularly need closed cans, I'm now leaning toward getting some inexpensive (<$100) and fairly portable closed headphones for those rare plane trips. But I feel less sure about this purchase. The DT231s are perfect from a price perspective, but I don't know much about them. If I spend my life listening to SR60s and/or DT880s, will I be spoiling myself for those few occasions when I have to switch to cheaper, closed cans? (I guess the answer is inevitably "yes," I just want to minimize my disappointment.)

Nov 27, 2005 at 7:21 PM Post #2 of 11
I just just got the etymotic ER6i, which I love. At about 87(amazon) bucks they are affordable--the ideal phone for isolation(travel), and great to use as a couterpart to your grados.

Nov 27, 2005 at 7:24 PM Post #3 of 11
I needed a cheap closed heapphone for work, that I could leave there without worrying about them. I bought a Senn HD201 for $20 from Headroom. They are exactly what I paid for: a cheap, sturdy, sealed headphone that doesn't suck. The SR-60s are better, as are the 880s, but this is a $20 headphone. If you're only using them a few times a year, it's a cheap alternative. At $20, even if you hate them, you can give them away.

Nov 27, 2005 at 7:28 PM Post #4 of 11
The DT231 is a nice can for the money, but coming back from the SR60 you'll feel a little cheated by it, and frankly although leakage is limited a bit, isolation is pretty poor. They're more of a semi-closed can than a closed one. Also, if you're walking with them at all, they tend to "creak" and make odd noises that spoil the music.

I alternate between my SR60's and a little pair of shure e2c, that I find fantastic as a sound-isolation tool for my busy train journey in the mornings. Maybe look at a pair of these, or push a bit to some e3c, if you're feeling flush.

It's a tricky one though... maybe you should sell the SR60's, and get yourself a pair of MS1 or something, AND some IEM's.... ahhh the possibilities.

Nov 27, 2005 at 7:42 PM Post #5 of 11
If I go the cheap closed can route, these seem like the contenders for inexpensive closed headphones that I've run into a lot. Do the dt231s have less isolation than the other two? Anyone know how the three compare in terms of sound quality? Anything else I should be considering?

For some reason, I'm just not entirely sold on the idea of IEM. What are the arguments in their favor? Dollar for dollar at this bottom end of the price range, am I going to get more bang for my buck from IEMs or from closed headphones?

As for selling my Grados, for the moment I'm just too attached to them. Whatever my upcoming open 'phone upgrade, it'll be by addition, not substitution.
lambda.gif

Nov 27, 2005 at 8:20 PM Post #6 of 11
DT231s have very little isolation once well-used. (It isn't great to begin with.) In exchange, they sound rather nice, a bit too bright but with rather nice soundstaging. K26Ps isolate rather well but I'd really use them on the go only, as they're unlikely to win any audiophile contests at home. (Their sonic signature is well suited for noisy environments though.) HD201s have been commented on as not isolating overly much, those might be somewhere in the middle.

The main advantage of IEMs is isolation, where they can exceed any conventional closed cans.

Nov 27, 2005 at 8:20 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by BenA
If I go the cheap closed can route, these seem like the contenders for inexpensive closed headphones that I've run into a lot. Do the dt231s have less isolation than the other two? Anyone know how the three compare in terms of sound quality? Anything else I should be considering?

For some reason, I'm just not entirely sold on the idea of IEM. What are the arguments in their favor? Dollar for dollar at this bottom end of the price range, am I going to get more bang for my buck from IEMs or from closed headphones?

As for selling my Grados, for the moment I'm just too attached to them. Whatever my upcoming open 'phone upgrade, it'll be by addition, not substitution.
lambda.gif

IEMs are superb for isolation. In fact, it's a little usettling at first. I had an e2c and sold them because I didn't think they competed well with a decent, inexpensive portable open headphone, like the Koss KSC55 or KSC75 (and at less than half the cost). A closed headphone would be second to the IEMs for isolating and leaking.

Nov 28, 2005 at 5:38 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tech2
I needed a cheap closed heapphone for work, that I could leave there without worrying about them. I bought a Senn HD201 for $20 from Headroom. They are exactly what I paid for: a cheap, sturdy, sealed headphone that doesn't suck. The SR-60s are better, as are the 880s, but this is a $20 headphone. If you're only using them a few times a year, it's a cheap alternative. At $20, even if you hate them, you can give them away.

The interesting thing is I did this exact same thing for my work. I dont get a chance to use them a whole lot but man is it bliss when I do get a chance to throw them on. Since I am only using my lame computers on board sound my source is horrid and I dont have an amp yet I decided having really good cans at work would only show the details of how crappy the setup really was.

So I got the 201s hoping they would not make these flaws so blatant. They have been perfect for what I have used them for best $20 I have ever spent. Like others have said though they dont isolate that much and they do allow a little sound leaking, but they are certainly a lot better isolation wise than any open can I have heard.

I am probibly going to get another pair to take with me when I feel the headphones might be in danger of getting lost or damaged. I just cant stand the feel of in ear phones. I think my ears produce to much wax. My ears always start itching and hurting after just a short while.

Nov 28, 2005 at 6:16 PM Post #11 of 11
My perfect setup is IEMs for isolation while I'm out and in noisy environments, and a nice pair of open headphones for when I'm at home or alone in a quiet environment. Keeps me happy
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back