Open, Circumaural, Velour/Foam Earpads, < $30
Nov 4, 2009 at 5:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

d1ce

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to pickup a cheap pair of headphones to throw around with the following characteristics: open, cirumaual, velour/foam earpads (no leather/pleather or anything that creates a good seal, my ears tend to get hot and uncomfortable very quickly), and under $30. The Koss UR40 met most of my specifications until I noticed they use pleather earpads. Although, I would be willing to change out the earpads if an alternative is found that fit. I can't seem to find a pair that's open with the combination of foam/velour earpads. Any suggestions?
confused.gif

Nov 4, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #2 of 9
Unless you hunt really hard, you're not going to find brand new phones with velour pads in that price range. Pleather is cheap, which is the phones are often so cheap.

Nov 4, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #4 of 9
Ahhh, I see. No wonder I couldn't find any!
frown.gif
There appears to be a wide selection of foam superaural headphones within the range i'm looking at. They will have to suffice.

Nov 4, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #5 of 9
Uhm, I guess i could send you an old pair of Accuras. They meet the letter of the spec but the pads are rather stiff.

Nov 5, 2009 at 6:54 AM Post #7 of 9
^ x2. KSCs or Sennheiser PX100 are your best bet. KSCs for sound quality, PX100 for overall performance (comfort etc) imo.

Nov 5, 2009 at 7:27 AM Post #8 of 9
The Sennheiser HD435 comes close - at ~$40 some places. The velour covers the whole pad, but it's still velour. They're tough as nails headphones, too, and will take tons of punishment. Oops - I guess they're supraural, so maybe that's not suitable.

EDIT - I have a pair that I use all the time to watch movies. Lots of bass and deep bass, but highs are rolled off. Still, super-comfortable and I hardly ever think of them as supraural.

Nov 5, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Sennheiser HD435 comes close - at ~$40 some places. The velour covers the whole pad, but it's still velour. They're tough as nails headphones, too, and will take tons of punishment. Oops - I guess they're supraural, so maybe that's not suitable.

EDIT - I have a pair that I use all the time to watch movies. Lots of bass and deep bass, but highs are rolled off. Still, super-comfortable and I hardly ever think of them as supraural.

Those look nice, thanks for the suggestion. I have a pair of KSC-75 and they are excellent portables but I do find them to get uncomfortable after sometime. At this point, it's between the HD 435 and HD 457.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back