open cans with clarity
Sep 7, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by biscuiterietraou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i tried the at ad700, ad900 and w1000, beyer 880, denon 2ks and 5ks, portapros and (they were all quite disappointing) the closest i've got to the warm clear sound im looking for is the sennheiser hd238. is that really the best i can get? or is it just a matter of getting used to the sound presented by the forementioned phones? or are headphones just not built for clarity?

That's a fair spread to try to get what you want. If you can't find it with any of these, I'd be looking at what they've been hooked them up to instead. And brief audition are not always the best thing; throwing one phone after another can only give you broad impressions of how one sounds against the last.

FWIW, my Grado RS2 is as clear and detailed as I could wish for. If you're really picky then there will always be disappointment, as no matter how good your gear, the final link out of your control will be the quality of recordings you put through them.

Sep 7, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 701/2, GMP 8.35 and the RS-1 are great and maybe the best under $500. Above you have the K-100 and the HD-800.
wink_face.gif

I would have said the RS-1, but the wonderful, liquid-like mid-range is too prominent.

Sep 7, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Usagi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would have said the RS-1, but the wonderful, liquid-like mid-range is too prominent.

Right, but still full clarity... like some one open the light for you.
biggrin.gif

Sep 7, 2009 at 7:41 AM Post #21 of 22
you'll never be satisfied until you go Stax - better make the switch now, than to be unhappy for another year
biggrin.gif

Sep 7, 2009 at 9:26 AM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by cswann1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My first thought was to suggest the AKG K701(2) but I don't think many would say they are warm.

I would. I think they are warmish. 'Liquid buttery' is how one member described them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back