Open Cans that sound like the RE0
Feb 23, 2014 at 4:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

80smusicboy

100+ Head-Fier
I have had a pair of RE0's for more than 3 years and I love them to bits. Well defined bass, albeit a bit subdued, great voices and sparkling, pristine treble without any spike or sibilance (quite a feat).
I want an open headphone that sounds like the RE0 but with a wider soundstage than the IEM.

I had a pair of Q701s and sold them due to the treble spike and for being a bit thin sounding. I tried the HD650 (old black silk version) and I find them almost muddy from being so veiled. I even A/B'd the Q701 and the HD650 and it was like someone was putting pillows between my ears and the HD650 capsules.

My HD650 are now for sale and I would like to give it another try at finding  - that - open headphone. My gut tells me to go the HD600 route. More neutral, less mid bass hump, more highs while maintaining the typical Sennheiser smoothness (the RE0 are very smooth for me). Or maybe even the HD598? I'm not a basshead by any means as you would have guessed from my adoration for the RE0s.

I find Grados too in-my-face and sibilant.

What do you say? Closed cans are out of the question. Never heard a pair that I liked.

I am beginning to think that I might as well keep only the RE0 for all my private music listening needs. And that reminds me that I don't know what to buy these days that sound like the RE0 when my pair fails.

Feb 26, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #2 of 10
Well, I took the plunge on the HD600 on amazon.fr. I hope I like them. If not, I'll return and maybe try the HD598.

Feb 26, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #4 of 10
I will! Your RE-400 is the replacing model for the RE0. Have your heard the RE0? How do they compare?

Feb 26, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #5 of 10
Well, I took the plunge on the HD600 on amazon.fr. I hope I like them. If not, I'll return and maybe try the HD598.

Given that you already have the modded HD555, I think going for the HD600s (as you have done) is a good idea.

Mar 3, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #7 of 10
My HD600 just arrived and I'm listening to them as I write. They are just about perfect (for me, anyway). They are exactly what I've been logging for since the beginning (September 2013). They haven't as much bass as the HD650, but not as little as the Q701. They are smooth, neutral, a pleasure to listen to without any fatigue. There are no harsh treble spikes that make some voices sound shouty, nor there is the bass bleeding into the mids. For me, my journey is over.

They might have a touch more bass than the RE0 and the treble doesn't extend that endlessly, but it's as close as it gets, I think. Maybe they are the perfect equivalent of the RE-400 which is said to have a bit more low end than the RE0 and a tiny bit less treble than these.

Mar 3, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #9 of 10
I'm using a simple Fiio E10. I believe nothing in the chain changes the sound more than the headphones. I'm satisfied with the result for now. Maybe one of these days I'll buy an Objective O2 amp.

The HD600 gained a little bass in these 6 hours they've been playing, but nothing like the mid.bass hump of the HD650. While my HD650 sound definitely veiled (they're the old version), the same can't be said of the HD600. The highs are nicely present and rock sounds as punchy as it should!

For me, for my like,, the HD600 are clearly better than the HD650.

Mar 3, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #10 of 10
I'm using a simple Fiio E10. I believe nothing in the chain changes the sound more than the headphones. I'm satisfied with the result for now. Maybe one of these days I'll buy an Objective O2 amp.

The HD600 gained a little bass in these 6 hours they've been playing, but nothing like the mid.bass hump of the HD650. While my HD650 sound definitely veiled (they're the old version), the same can't be said of the HD600. The highs are nicely present and rock sounds as punchy as it should!

For me, for my like,, the HD600 are clearly better than the HD650.

Congrats and it was interesting to read your impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back