Open cans that don't leak?
Feb 12, 2007 at 12:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

gmoffatt

100+ Head-Fier
These days I'm using KSC-75s at the office (a cube). What I like most about them is that they don't isolate (my office is very quiet and I like to hear things going on around me), but at the same time, they don't really leak sound.

Now I'd like to get a little more hi-fi at work. I'd love to wear my Grados, but, as you know, I might as well use speakers for the amount of sound they leak. So my question: are there any open cans that don't leak much?

Musical preferences:
- all types, but I'd like these to sound good with jazz (Monk, Miles, Dave Brubeck, Chick Corea, Bill Evans, etc.)

Thanks!

Feb 12, 2007 at 12:28 AM Post #3 of 14
x2

I'm surprised that your KSC75 don't leak
confused.gif
Mine definitely leaked. Do you listen at very low levels?

Feb 12, 2007 at 12:43 AM Post #4 of 14
Wow, simple as that, eh? I was thinking there might be a range of leakiness, with SR-225 at the higher end. . .

For the most part I don't listen very loud, and I find the KSC-75 to be far less leaky than the SR-225 regardless. Even at lower volumes, the Grados leak bad.

So, a follow-up question: how about closed cans that don't isolate too much? Would I be totally cut off from the world in a pair of K271S?

Feb 12, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #5 of 14
I thought my pair of KSC75's leak a huge amount. Even when the volume on my player is half of the maximum (my player is an Archos 402 camcorder so that means it's French, and because of certain French laws, volume is limited), people around me can still hear it.

Feb 12, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by gmoffatt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, a follow-up question: how about closed cans that don't isolate too much? Would I be totally cut off from the world in a pair of K271S?

To some degree it depends on fit, the better the seal the more isolation. However, for me they provide enough isolation to drop background noise while still allowing anyone talking directly to me to be noticeable. No where near IEM isolation levels.

There are some cans that are semi-open (like the AKG 240S) that, if you listen low enough, also might be less objectionable in terms of leaking sound (never heard any though so just a thought)....

Ant

Feb 12, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #10 of 14
V moda vibes are open IEM's. They'll be pretty nice.

Stax SR-001 also come to mind. Apparently they are amazing. They're open too, but should leak much less than the KSC75's.

Feb 12, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by apostate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... However, for me they provide enough isolation to drop background noise while still allowing anyone talking directly to me to be noticeable. No where near IEM isolation levels.

Well, I think I'm getting there. Thanks everyone for the recommendations so far. Essentially, I'm after full-size cans that don't completely isolate and leak somewhat less than Grados. The search continues...

Edit: anyone have any comments on isolation/leakage of the K240S?

Feb 12, 2007 at 2:38 AM Post #12 of 14
In my experience, Grados dont leak THAT much sound out compared to the K701's and the HD595's I had. They're actually pretty quiet IMO...

Feb 12, 2007 at 2:39 AM Post #13 of 14
in theory, anything will leak if you listen to it loud enough. But I think I understand what youre after.
The K240s is an open can that seems to leak less sound out than in.

edit... same goes for the MDR EX90

Users who are viewing this thread

Back