Open cans ok in an office?
May 5, 2004 at 4:46 PM Post #31 of 44
Hi,
I'll start working soon and wondering now if I can use a headphone in the office. I hope I can since I work much better when I listen to music. How do you figure out whether using headphone is possible in the office? Look around or ask for permission? I might tackle along my A100ti or JVC HA-D990 or SR-325 to the office. Could be a fun working day.
600smile.gif

May 5, 2004 at 4:54 PM Post #32 of 44
I don't think there're any rules against using headphones in an office, not unless say, you work at McDonald's or you're a telemarketer.
biggrin.gif
I say just use em, and if your boss says no, or your coworkers start complaining, then rethink a new workaround.

If you have a cubicle/office, headphones are most likely allowed.

May 5, 2004 at 5:14 PM Post #33 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chinchy
I don't think there're any rules against using headphones in an office, not unless say, you work at McDonald's or you're a telemarketer.
biggrin.gif
I say just use em, and if your boss says no, or your coworkers start complaining, then rethink a new workaround.

If you have a cubicle/office, headphones are most likely allowed.

Oh.. the blessed those who works in the liberal SF Bay Area..
wink.gif

Truthfully speaking, there's a lot of traditional company that outlaws such activity from the office.. and they will fire people for those regulations. Probably for chewing gum too...

It is definitely the norm in the Bay Area that people wear headphones at work.. but it's also a norm here that people come to work in t-shirts and jeans sometimes. Definitely cannot be said about every office situation out there.

May 5, 2004 at 5:22 PM Post #34 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk
Hi,
I'll start working soon and wondering now if I can use a headphone in the office. I hope I can since I work much better when I listen to music. How do you figure out whether using headphone is possible in the office? Look around or ask for permission? I might tackle along my A100ti or JVC HA-D990 or SR-325 to the office. Could be a fun working day.
600smile.gif

Does your company have an employee handbook? If not, then you just have to watch to see what others are doing.

May 5, 2004 at 8:12 PM Post #35 of 44
OK, so I guess most people agree that covering the grill on Sennheisers would affect sound quality (no big suprise there). But has anyone actually tried covering it intentionally to reduce noise leakage on other people? Has it managed to block it well?

Thanks.

May 5, 2004 at 10:52 PM Post #37 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
I got CD3000s for the office, which are semi-open - more open than closed anyway. Most of the time they're fine, unless people have impromptu meetings at their desk near to me, or someone start shouting into their phone.

And no one makes fun of you sporting those "Princess Leia Hair Buns On Steroids And PCP" ? Wow... My coworker's mocking would make me start saying "Obi-wan, help me..."

May 5, 2004 at 11:58 PM Post #39 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
Nope, no jokes about them at all
smily_headphones1.gif

Hm.. maybe not to your face. I would camp out in the bathroom stalls and see if people talk crap. :evilgrin:

May 6, 2004 at 12:00 AM Post #40 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chinchy
Hm.. maybe not to your face. I would camp out in the bathroom stalls and see if people talk crap. :evilgrin:

It's mainly older people here, and they don't really seem to care about that stuff: they're quite inclusive. Plus one older lady wears ear-muffs (like the kind that you wear when you're using a lawn mower) to keep out the noise, so mine don't look so bad!

May 6, 2004 at 12:03 AM Post #41 of 44
You mean ear muffs on her ears or on top of her open-air headphone grills? Cause I guess that would be one way of doing what I had suggested some posts above. Some way of conveniently covering your grills whenever someone in the room wants to sleep/concentrate and not hear what leaks out of your open air cans. This could also help the person himself who's wearing the cans and doesn't want noise to bother him.

May 6, 2004 at 9:29 AM Post #44 of 44
Well, for me its etys just because I love 'em. Nobody has objected to these and so they shouldn't... but I have noticed a few odd cracks when I have insisted that dot matix printers (yes someone still uses them) should have covers to reduce noise - a few people say "but why do you care you cannot hear anything with those earplugs (etys)".

My response is I only wear them so you guys don't distract me when I'm thinking. Since I'm the boss that seems to work.

When I wore portapros I did feel a bit self conscious although truth be told they were more practical at work as I could hear the phone. Of course the great thing about the etys is I don't hear the phone!

Cheers,

TonyAAA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back