Open cans for under $100?
Dec 14, 2007 at 3:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Tsuioku

100+ Head-Fier
Already have IEMs for outdoor use and now I'm looking for a pair of cans for indoor use. I like good depth and soundstage so I'm thinking about grabbing something open... besides... I find closed cans stuffy and get my ears sweaty
tongue.gif
I would prefer something circumaural but supra-aural should be ok.

I listen to a wide variety of music from instrumentals (strings and piano in particular), vocals and classical to hip hop, rnb and trance. My ears are sensitive to high pitched sounds so I'd prefer something darker. I love a fluid, flowing sound but still want some detail and clarity. As a reference, I've listened to the Westone UM1, MylarOne X3 (soon to be X3i
smily_headphones1.gif
) and the Audio Technica A500.

I find the UM1s kinda harsh and need a lot of tweaking to get the sound right for me. The highs sound very shrilly to me but when I reduce the gain, it's extremely veiled. The mids were fluid or maybe even too much. A bit more detail and separation would be perfect. The bass response was nice and kept up with my trance but would be better if it was a bit more clearer.
I tried my friend's A500 when he got them. They weren't fully burnt in but the difference in detail, clarity and separation was night and day compared to my UM1s. The highs were still a little too bright for my liking and I had to increase the gain on the low end. Maybe they just weren't fully broken in yet but the mids sounded a little boring to me. It needed a bit more fluidity and depth to get me fully engaged.
Out of the three, I like the sound of the X3 the most. I didn't get to use them much after I broke them in because the left driver died on me soon afterwards but from my limited experience, I have no complaints regarding the sound.

After doing a little browsing around, I narrowed it down to the following headphones:
AKG 240S
Sennheiser HD555
Grado SR60/80
Alessandro MS1
Goldring DR150 (if I can find a used one cheap enough)

Which of the above do you think would be most suitable for me? I've read that the bass is lacking on the HD555 but is it really that bad? Also, an amp is recommended for the DR150 according to the Buyer's Guide but will the performance be that bad without one? I will be using them on my computer, laptop and maybe my Clix2 (which has a 2 x 17mW output) unamped since I can't really afford one. $100 is already pushing my limits with Xmas and tuition around the corner.

Any advice or other suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Dec 14, 2007 at 3:40 AM Post #3 of 7
The MS1s will be too bright for you. The SR-80s, while darker than the MS1s, still might be bright compared to the others you've listed (sorry, haven't heard them). The iGrados will be even darker than both the SR-80s and MS1s but I'm not sure if you want to go with something portable.

Dec 14, 2007 at 8:28 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The MS1s will be too bright for you. The SR-80s, while darker than the MS1s, still might be bright compared to the others you've listed (sorry, haven't heard them). The iGrados will be even darker than both the SR-80s and MS1s but I'm not sure if you want to go with something portable.

Yea... Don't really want anything portable... I have my IEMs for that...

What would you recommend? I only found the A500s slightly bright... a little tweak of the EQ and it sounded alright...
If need be... Are there any closed cans that would be good for me?
Worse comes to worst... what higher end Open cans would suit my tastes? Maybe I can save up for them... albeit... might take a while
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 14, 2007 at 3:18 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tsuioku /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea... Don't really want anything portable... I have my IEMs for that...

What would you recommend? I only found the A500s slightly bright... a little tweak of the EQ and it sounded alright...
If need be... Are there any closed cans that would be good for me?
Worse comes to worst... what higher end Open cans would suit my tastes? Maybe I can save up for them... albeit... might take a while
smily_headphones1.gif

Hmmmm....the GS100s?
smily_headphones1.gif
To my ears, those had tons of bass with a smooth top end. I've read that the HF-1s have nice balance. Maybe a Sennheiser like the HD600 will suit you. I found mine online for around $150.

Dec 14, 2007 at 10:49 PM Post #6 of 7
The HD555s are just a modest step up the headphone food chain, but I find them physically and sonically comfortable. I use them to listen to my portables and a home stereo occasionally, but as it turns out, I use them mostly for listening to music or music/concert DVDs on my computer or for watching television late. My brother listens to mostly guitar-based rock and blues, and the more up-front Grado SR60s represent an excellent value, but I prefer the fit and sound of the Sennheisers.

I don't find them especially lacking in bass, and I appreciate their "around the ear" fit and their comfortable velour pads. They're a lot warmer on the ears than canal phones and IEMs are, obviously, but they're not as hot as closed headphones with leather or pleather pads. Within your price range, they deserve some consideration.

"My ears are sensitive to high pitched sounds so I'd prefer something darker."

These are pretty laid back, so they might suit you well (again, within your price range.)

Dec 16, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmmm....the GS100s?
smily_headphones1.gif
To my ears, those had tons of bass with a smooth top end. I've read that the HF-1s have nice balance. Maybe a Sennheiser like the HD600 will suit you. I found mine online for around $150.

Lol.. GS1000s... Gonna be a while b4 I can save up enough for those... And that doesn't even include an amp to drive them...
How does the sound of the HD580s compare to the 600s? Seeing a lot more of those floating around these days... and is also cheaper... I'll also need an amp to drive them too won't I? hmm...

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't find them especially lacking in bass, and I appreciate their "around the ear" fit and their comfortable velour pads. They're a lot warmer on the ears than canal phones and IEMs are, obviously, but they're not as hot as closed headphones with leather or pleather pads. Within your price range, they deserve some consideration.

"My ears are sensitive to high pitched sounds so I'd prefer something darker."

These are pretty laid back, so they might suit you well (again, within your price range.)

What headphones can you think of that has a similar bass level to the HD555? I don't really need something that pounds but I still want some decent feedback. The bass of the A500s are probably what I would consider as minimum requirement.
I can probably up my budget to low 100s in January after I pay off my tuition. Is there anything you would suggest in that range?

To Consolidate...
It seems like Grados/Alessandros will be too bright for me. Senns seem to be a good candidate so far which matches their rep of having a darker signature.
Anybody have any feedback on the AKG 240S?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back