Open cans for rock music genres, ~300$.
Mar 15, 2012 at 7:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

eyalcat

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all

I'm looking for non Grado (comfort issues) open cans.
I'm listening to all kind of music, but mainly to rock.
They'll be connected to 'Little dot mkII' amp for now (maybe I'll upgrade the amp later - tubes of course).
Must be online purchase but very reliable.
another thing - must be over ear!

*can stretch the budget just a bit if necessary.

Thanks.

Mar 15, 2012 at 8:35 AM Post #2 of 26
I own a pair of hifiman he 300s and I think that they are okay for rock music :D
They are very light, so I don't think comfort will be an issue, and they cost $250 in hifiman's website.

Mar 17, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #7 of 26

Quote:
Hi all

I'm looking for non Grado (comfort issues) open cans.
I'm listening to all kind of music, but mainly to rock.
They'll be connected to 'Little dot mkII' amp for now (maybe I'll upgrade the amp later - tubes of course).
Must be online purchase but very reliable.
another thing - must be over ear!

*can stretch the budget just a bit if necessary.

Thanks.

Try the Ultrasone HFI 2400.

May seem weird to some, but the open Ultrasones have a lot of characteristics that the Grados have. Big attack. Forward, but not nearly as treble spiked as a normal Ultrasone. Comfortable (velour pads) and a nice sound stage. It's not overly bassy, it's actually got some great balance, and good mids. Vocals sounded good, guitar and stuff sounded great (I've been running Ayreon through mine for a while now and it just sounds great through them, reminded me a lot of how things sound through some of my Grados).

Also look into:

Hifiman HE-400
Sennheiser HD598
Beyer DT990

Very best,

Mar 18, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #8 of 26

Quote:
Try the Ultrasone HFI 2400.

May seem weird to some, but the open Ultrasones have a lot of characteristics that the Grados have. Big attack. Forward, but not nearly as treble spiked as a normal Ultrasone. Comfortable (velour pads) and a nice sound stage. It's not overly bassy, it's actually got some great balance, and good mids. Vocals sounded good, guitar and stuff sounded great (I've been running Ayreon through mine for a while now and it just sounds great through them, reminded me a lot of how things sound through some of my Grados).

Also look into:

Hifiman HE-400
Sennheiser HD598
Beyer DT990

Very best,

Didn't Ultrasone stop manufacturing the Ultrasone HFI 2400?
The Hifiman HE-400 looks interesting. Can anyone tell from experience how they play rock music (any kind of rock)?

10x.

Mar 18, 2012 at 4:04 AM Post #9 of 26
If you can stretch the budget to $400, you could go with a Hifiman HE 400. I haven't heard them but the reviews have been positive. If it's anything like the HE 500 it's probably just what you're looking for.

Mar 18, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #10 of 26
I would stretch my budget if it worth it.
I kind of waiting to more comprehensive review on these cans + I heard there are some problems in the 1st revision of these cans(?)

Mar 18, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #14 of 26

Quote:
Is there no competition for the Grados when it comes to rock music?!?!?!?!

Sure there is.

First, of course, there are dozens of rock music subgenres.

Hard rock, indie rock, pop rock, experimental rock, space rock, art rock, stoner rock, folk rock,
metal, heavy metal, thrash metal, grunge, post rock, slowcore, punk rock, garage rock...

Grados work well with some of these (e.g. folk rock) and not so well with others (e.g. heavy metal).

IMO a great headphone for rock of all types, pretty much, has already been mentioned - the Beyerdynamic DT880.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back