Open Cans for Metal
Sep 11, 2007 at 3:17 PM Post #16 of 25
You guys are awesome. But you make this harder, in a way. Now I'm getting a lot of feedback that Grados might be the way to go for tech metal.

Perhaps what I'm perceiving in what I don't like about my SR-60s is I'm used to a $200 closed can and trying to compare it to a $60 open can.

I'm going to consider the 325i now as well as the DT990, whichever I can find a better deal on in the for sale forum probably.

Just out of curiosity (as I can find this out through a search, but not specifically from metalheads), what amps would help out the 325i? I know with a DT990 the easy answer is to go with something from Meier, but I don't know a whole lot about amping Grados.

Sep 11, 2007 at 3:31 PM Post #17 of 25
Try SR225, can go easy unamped
Second SR325i, better with TUBES
Third RS1, TUBES as well
Last, if you have enough money, PS1

But the first two will do pretty fine
cool.gif

Sep 11, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #18 of 25
Could it be that some of the DT770 slowness be attributed to lack of amp? I'll have to recheck that when I'm home, but I seem to recall that those headphones sound a bit more muddy in the bass department without amplification.

Sep 11, 2007 at 6:16 PM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denver Max /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You guys are awesome. But you make this harder, in a way. Now I'm getting a lot of feedback that Grados might be the way to go for tech metal.

Perhaps what I'm perceiving in what I don't like about my SR-60s is I'm used to a $200 closed can and trying to compare it to a $60 open can.

I'm going to consider the 325i now as well as the DT990, whichever I can find a better deal on in the for sale forum probably.

Just out of curiosity (as I can find this out through a search, but not specifically from metalheads), what amps would help out the 325i? I know with a DT990 the easy answer is to go with something from Meier, but I don't know a whole lot about amping Grados.

If you dislike guitars being upfront, forget SR325i. SR225 is better choice then.

Sep 11, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #20 of 25
I'm a big metal head. Here are some of my impressions on the mentioned headphones with regards to listening to metal.

dt990 (2005): lots of detail but very bright and sibilant with both a ss amp and a tube amp.
grado 225: fatiguing and small soundstage, sounded better with ss amp, tubes made it "slower", not much detail, uncomfortable
ultrasone trackmaster 650: well balanced but some veil, interesting
k701: too much soundstage

I'm eager to try out the ultrasone 2500 with some metal. I'd be interested to hear your impressions.

Sep 11, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by maladjustdeath /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could it be that some of the DT770 slowness be attributed to lack of amp? I'll have to recheck that when I'm home, but I seem to recall that those headphones sound a bit more muddy in the bass department without amplification.

+1

DT770's do a lot better with an amplifier; the extremes of their sound signature becomes tamer, and they become 'faster.'

What about Darth Beyers in open form?
biggrin.gif
That ought to cure your itch...

Sep 11, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #22 of 25
I like the HF-1 over the RS-1. For me, it would be a DT990 as the winner, though. They all have their faults, I find the DT990 gives me more of what I want. The problem I have with the Grado line is the low end extension drops off. The DT990 goes further. The problem with the DT990 is the high end is a bit much at times. The HF-1 over the RS-1, the high end seems better to me, more space and smoother.

Sep 12, 2007 at 12:37 AM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

x2

I went from DT770/80's --> Closed Darths --> Open Darths and love them. I listen to metal and rock mostly. Seriously good sound!

Paul

Sep 12, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you dislike guitars being upfront, forget SR325i. SR225 is better choice then.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spadge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2

I went from DT770/80's --> Closed Darths --> Open Darths and love them. I listen to metal and rock mostly. Seriously good sound!

Paul

Ha that's what I want to do in the end, trust me! I am keeping my DT770s to someday send them in when I have a real job and am out of university.

But until then, building a real rig is what I'd be looking to do, and spending $500 to mod my existing headphones when I'd really benefit from having an amp and dac and maybe a decent "cheaper" open headphone do complement my already decent DT770.

Someday I'll own the Ultrasone Proline 2500, because all reviews of it are so mixed and it sounds like such a unique headphone, and I'll also own a great darth beyer can. But that day is not here yet.

Thanks again for all your suggestions, I'm hoping to buy that recabled 325i in the FS forum to see if I like them for metal, and then from there will be perhaps grabbing an EMU 0404 from Fry's to tide me over until I can get a Darkvoice 336i or LDII++ or Heed Canamp. Does that sound like a decent plan?

Sep 12, 2007 at 12:23 PM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
+1

DT770's do a lot better with an amplifier; the extremes of their sound signature becomes tamer, and they become 'faster.'

biggrin.gif

I just did little comparison using my new unmodified SB3 (guess i'll postpond my DAC purchasing) and listened to some metal.
Whorecore - "severed wings" song first 10 seconds have a unified bass and double bass drum, not too fast 1/16 note riff) using
1. sb3 headphone out -> dt770
2. sb3 line out -> ibasso p1 -> dt770
indeed the dt770 shows faster behavior, more detail and instrument separation in option #2, while option #1 also required a lot more sb3 volume in addition to sounding a bit dull w lack of punch.
I also tried
3. sb3 headphone out -> ibasso p1 -> dt770
and got similar results to #2.
So I guess an amp really helps in that aspect.
I also noticed that the sound is brighter using the amp, but I don't know if this characteristic is because of this particular amp or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back